Cheapest Cisco Switch with 1 Gig Ports and 10 Gig WAN-PHY Uplink?

What is the cheapest Cisco switch that has at least 12 one gigabit ethernet ports and a single 10G WAN-PHY (NOT 10G LAN-PHY) uplink?

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

The product code for the Cisco 10 GE WAN PHY is XENPAK-10GB-LW.

"Supports a link length of 10 km on standard single-mode fiber (SMF) (G.652). WAN-PHY is intended to allow the transport of 10 Gigabit Ethernet over a traditional SONET/SDH infrastructure by rendering 10 Gigabit Ethernet"

It is probably best to search Cisco CCO site using that product code XENPAK-10GB-LW.

Cisco 10GBASE XENPAK Modules page:

formatting link

The following Cisco document shows the XENPAK-10GB-LW transceiver module being supported by the 6500 switch:

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Cisco list price on one of those SFP is $15K?!!! That's crazy. That's more than the switch costs.

As far as which model switch I need 12 gigE ports and a single 10GB uplink. I don't need (and cannot for this application afford) a 6500.

Reply to
Will

I thinktat there is a 3750G...-E that can have

10G uplinks but i don't think that you can avoid the XENPAK bit.

10G is not yet cheap.

Reply to
Bod43

Right, 10G is not cheap, but the 10G LAN PHY SFPs generally go around $1K street price. List price might be $2K to $4K depending on vendor.

$15K list price for an SFP is outrageous.

Reply to
Will

Switches that can support 10GE do not come cheap...

It is one thing to have 10 or 12 gigabit ingress interfaces. another thing entirely to be able to handle the aggregation at full linerate on all ingress ports ....

See article on 10 GE switches:

formatting link

I suspect there is little volume for 10GE WAN PHY and that vendors (here is only a handful in this market) are still recouping their development costs.

Reply to
Merv

LAN PHY costs vary a lot depending on the format type - multimode, single mode, high power, and even 4 x 2.5G lambda transcievers are all available, but there is a lot of variation in cost.

maybe if you explained what you are trying to do and why you need WAN PHY you might get some alternative suggestions?

if you have to have SDH or SONET formatting then you probably are connecting to an SDH or DWDM long haul lambda system of some sort.

if you have that, then you have much bigger ticket items to worry about.

One of the reasons LAN PHY is cheap is to avoid the complexities of WAN PHY. Also - you get a bit more bandwidth on your interface since WAN PHY is "only" 9.8 Gbps or so.

FWIW a lot of modern DWDM for metro or even long haul is supporting LAN PHY now - to remove the need for WAN PHY.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.