Cable Modem Router Required with 50-100 Mbps Downstream Speed

Hi,

I'm in the UK and access the Internet through Virgin Media (formerly Telewest Broadband). I'm on a 10Mbps service, but due to the limitaions of my router (Linksys BEFSR41), I only get a max speed of around 6 Mbps. When I disconnect the router and plug in directly to the cable modem, the speed increases up to around 9.5 Mbps.

Vrigin Media are about to increase the speed to 20 Mbps very soon and later in the year they will offer a 50Mbps (and higher) service.

Therefore, I need a cable modem router that enables downstream speeds of up to at least 50Mbps or preferably one that can handle 100MBps.

Does anyone know of any routers that would enable 100 Mbps LAN to WAN throughput?

Thanks in advance

John

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Models from the Cisco 72xx series should be able to get the job done.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Hi John,

I have a Trendnet TW100-BRV204, and it can do the job

Søren

"." skrev i en meddelelse news:460d3a6f$0$6389$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com...

Reply to
Søren Skovgaard

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Reply to

Be warned, you might need to talk to (former) Virgin boss Richard. Branson before.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Yes. I know what you mean. He's picked a fight with Rupert Murdoch and as a result, Sky One, the main entertainment channel has now been taken off Virgin's tv services.

On the plus side, Virgin's broadband packages have gone down in price and I know of some new customers that are given a free wireless router as a 'sweetener', but guess what, the router can't handle 10 Mbps!!

Reply to

The question is not whether a cisco 72xx can handle 10 Mbps but whether you can handle the router, ;)

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Hi,

I've done a fair bit of research and the following webpage lists routers with decent WAN to LAN throughput and LAN to WAN throughput.

Many of them are under the $100 mark, so are fine for home use.

Hope it's useful:-

formatting link

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.