uplinking routers

I have 6 desktop computers and 2 laptops. Also i have a cable BEFSR41 router and a BEFW11S4 v4 wireless router. i would like to connect all of them to the internet at the same time but i cannot get the wireless router to have an internet connection and i have no idea what to do. if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
mee4soccer
Loading thread data ...

While it is possible to cascade routers, just use one to connect to the internet and use a switch to add more connections.

Reply to
James Knott

Some like to cascade to keep the wireless network separate from the home network. That has security advantages, though it is less convenient if you do want to access home machines.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

I have a Linux based router, with 3 ethernet ports. One port is for the local LAN, and the second for the WAN side. The third NIC is used only for WiFi and is configured to be on the hostile side of the firewall. The only way into my network, is via SSH or VPN. So, assuming someone manages to break WEP, they'll then be up against my firewall.

Reply to
James Knott

In article , wrote: :I have 6 desktop computers and 2 laptops. Also i have a cable BEFSR41 :router and a BEFW11S4 v4 wireless router. i would like to connect all :of them to the internet at the same time but i cannot get the wireless :router to have an internet connection and i have no idea what to do. if :you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Run a line from the BEFW11S4 *LAN* side to the BEFSR41. Configure the BEFW11S4 to remove the default route that points through the WAN, and instead have it point to the LAN. You can deconfigure the WAN side and address it through it's LAN address.

That's pretty much all you have to do. The wireless side of the BEFW11S4 is on the LAN, and the BEFW11S4 is happy to relay signals as between the wired ports and unwired ports. Let the BEFSR41 router handle all the NAT.

I have a fairly similar configuration.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.