Looking for the best wireless Linksys Router for my new FIOS connection.

I just got a fiber optic connection to the internet, and as usual verizon give out the cheapest piece of crap router that they possible can (D-link 604) and if that's not enough they are using custom firmware that allows them to remote into my network. Am I going to stand by and let them do this? I think not

Because I have had success with Linksys Products in the past, I would like to pick up a new wireless Linksys router. My question is which one would be the best.

I have been looking at the WRT55AG ver2 WRT54G ver5

Are there any other models I should consider? I wanted to know what would be the best wireless. I am not an idiot to networking only wireless networking.

Reply to
Matthew
Loading thread data ...

Been there, done that, ended up with the FIOS DI-624 router that Verizon gave me in the first place. Every other SOHO router I tried had problems with sustained traffic and/or BitTorrent traffic.

See the previous thread about Azereous crashing routers, it may be possible to tune your client to avoid the problem.

[Note that you want a 10/100 WAN interface if you have 15M or 30M FIOS, as a 10BaseT connection won't keep up...]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Do you know what model and version you were using? Looking at the Linksys site, the bittorrent issue was solved with the Firmware 1.00.6 update (this is for WRT54G ver5)

formatting link

Reply to
Matthew

You might want to steer clear of the v5 as it doen't run Linux-based f/w and as such, can not be upgraded with 3rd party f/w that adds more features (e.g. WDS).

Reply to
__spc__

Yeah I saw that on another site. So far it looks like the Best of the Best was WRT54GS v3 It came with a whopping 16meg rom and 32meg ram verses v5 2/8 I don't know it I would update it with non standard firmware but there is something that like about having the ability to do it even if I choose not to.

Thanks

-Matt-

Reply to
Matthew

Yeah, it was long before V5 came out. They seem to still be actively {supporting,bug-fixing} the V5 routers, but AFAICT they've stopped adding {features,bug-fixes} to the older hardware revisions.

And I tried about a half-dozen brands, including wired and wireless routers, and they all fell over after less than 24 hours. Google news probably has it somewhere...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.