Two Routers

Hi networking experts, I would like to set a network where I can have two groups of computers that cannot interact with each other (anymore than joe hacker can interact with my computer through my router firewall), but both use the same cable connection. I have two dlink routers and tried to hook one into the other as: cable-RouterA-RouterB, but I can't get autonomous networks. Do I need other equipment, is it my settings, do other mfgrs besides dlink work? Thanks for your help Pachydermitis

Reply to
Pachydermitis
Loading thread data ...

I would think if the routers can be properly configured, you shouldn't need a third router to isolate the two networks. It's all about what the router can do configuration-wise.

I know nothing about the capabilities of the Dlink routers, but if it's like most home routers, I doubt it has much in the line of configurability.

Reply to
$Bill

A third router is what you need. You'll connect Router A to the modem and Router B and C to Router A. That will keep network B and C separate.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Nothing very complicated here, just make sure the mask and IP ranges are correct.

Ok assuming your useing Netgear routers which default to 192.168.0.x for internal range, set router A to WAN IP = ISP provided Internal range = 192.168.0.x (default) Internal mask = 255.255.255.0 (default)

set router B to WAN IP 192.168.0.2 (or DHCP provided from router A) Internal range = 192.168.5.x Internal mask = 255.255.255.0

set router C to WAN IP 192.168.0.3 (or DHCP provided from router A) Internal range = 192.168.10.x Internal mask = 255.255.255.0 /-------Router B Looks like this: ISP Modem -----> Router A <

-------Router C

That's it. This will provide network B and C access to the internent through A but keep B and C isolated.

If Router A has 4 ports you could add up to 4 routers and isolate 4 separate networks. Just make sure you set you IP range and subnet mask correctly to avoid conflicts.

Works fine for me. I have my testing lab setup this way.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

The latency isn't all that bad and you can turn of things like Stateful Packet inspection on router C and B since router A is doing all that.

Again I use this method to separate testing environments and not to provide access to say multiple apartments in a small apartment building.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Please explain the settings of all Routers.

I see conflicts arising from similar IP ranges and masks.

Router A IP address = ? net mask= ? IP range= ?

Router B IP address = ? net mask= ? IP range= ?

Router C IP address = ? net mask= ? IP range= ?

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Pachydermitis) on 8 Oct 2004 14:33:17 -0700 spoke:

Just make sure they have different workgroup names, AND don't enable file & printer sharing.

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

Thanx Robert:

I just wanted to make sure the subnet on Router B does not equal subnet on Router C.

The only problem I see is the doubling of the latency which is already high on SOHO Routers.

Dave

| > I see conflicts arising from similar IP ranges and masks. | >

| > Router A | > IP address = ? | > net mask= ? | > IP range= ? | >

| > Router B | > IP address = ? | > net mask= ? | > IP range= ? | >

| > Router C | > IP address = ? | > net mask= ? | > IP range= ? | >

| > Dave | >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I find the latency is poor on Linksys BEFSR41/BEFSR81 routers when I use Symantec Ghost to image a platform across-the-wire as compared to a good managed E-switch. This is based upon the resultant MB/s transfer rate measured for a multi-GB image comparing the SOHO Router and a E-switch such as the Intel 460 (discontinued product).

Dave

| > I just wanted to make sure the subnet on Router B does not equal subnet on | > Router C. | >

| > The only problem I see is the doubling of the latency which is already | > high on SOHO Routers. | >

| > Dave | >

| >

| >

| > | > I see conflicts arising from similar IP ranges and masks. | > | >

| > | > Router A | > | > IP address = ? | > | > net mask= ? | > | > IP range= ? | > | >

| > | > Router B | > | > IP address = ? | > | > net mask= ? | > | > IP range= ? | > | >

| > | > Router C | > | > IP address = ? | > | > net mask= ? | > | > IP range= ? | > | >

| > | > Dave | > | >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Thank you so much, I'm on my way to the store to pick up another router. Think all the hair I've been pulling out will grow back? :) Pachydermitis

Reply to
Pachydermitis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.