linksys srw224

Anyone have any experience configuring a linksys srw224 switch using vlans? I am trying to configure it to use vlan 920-924 but the configuration tool is only accepting values in the range 1-255. It says "invalid VID" for anything over 255. It is configured to use 802.1Q which as I understand it should support 12 bit VIDs.

Thanks Scott

Reply to
campbest
Loading thread data ...

In article , campbest wrote: :Anyone have any experience configuring a linksys srw224 switch using :vlans? I am trying to configure it to use vlan 920-924 but the :configuration tool is only accepting values in the range 1-255. It says :"invalid VID" for anything over 255. It is configured to use 802.1Q :which as I understand it should support 12 bit VIDs.

A lot of devices only allow a subset of the 12 bits. Only allowing up to 1000 or 1023 is particularily common; values above 1005 are often referred to as "extended vlans". Perhaps at one point only

10 bits were allocated.

The User Guide ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/srw224-ug.pdf says you can have up to 64 vlans (page 7), and page 30 says to use 1 to 255 for the VLAN ID. So it's a documented restriction.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.