VOIP QOS Configuring w/Linksys

I have just subscribed to Vonage, and received their RT31P2 Linksys Router. I currently have a Wireless Linksys WRT54G v3.1 Router. I plugged the RT31P2 into a port on my current router and was up and running right away.

My question is as follows, if I am doing uploads from a PC plugged into the wireless router (Comcast Cable modem connection with upload speed of ~280kbps) my voice becomes VERY choppy on the other persons phone. Is there a way I can configure QOS on the wrt54g I listed above to have Vonage / VOIP become a VERY high priority? If so how? (Step by steps aren't necessary, general guidance should be fine),

Would I have better luck ditching the wrt54g and going straight into vonage's RT31p2? (Understand I will lose wireless so this a last resort)

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
antgoodlife
Loading thread data ...

Here's the link to the Linksys knowledgebase to configure QOS on the WRT54G:

formatting link
*&p_li=&p_topview=1 If the link doesn't work (too long), go to Linksys support, select your router and search for QOS.

Esteban

Reply to
Esteban Nunez

You 've got it backwards: in most cases the ATA needs to be between the modem and the router so that it can perform QoS.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

In addition to that sound advice...

I'm not sure how Vonage works - if the RTP streams always use the same ports or if they are random within a range. If that is the case, then I don't think the Linksys will allow you to make a range of ports a priority. What you can do is make all your other common internet traffic (http [80], pop3/smtp [110,25] and ftp [21]) ports low priority. If you are using other apps (like Bittorrent) you at least may know what ports they use and give those a low priority as well. That should by default let your VoIP calls have higher priority.

Reply to
Onion Knight

Not necessarily. Some VoIP companies prefer the ATA in front and others behind the router. Whichever device comes first (closer to the outside world) is the one where you configure QoS.

Before even looking into QoS, try in front vs. behind and see if you get different results.

I'm with SunRocket and I have my ATA behind the router. I don't have QoS turned on and my performance is good on a 5/2 connection.

Esteban

Reply to
Esteban Nunez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.