Linksys SRW224P switch? Fan Noise?

Anyone else have one of the above switches? Very nice feature set, but the fans are driving me out of the room. Anyone know how to disassemble it? I gotta do something about those fans...

Thanks!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Do you mean SRW 2024?

Reply to
Some Guy

No, but it looks like essentially the same product, plus or minus the gigabit (2024 has, 224 doesn't) and PoE (224 has, 2024 doesn't).

Is the 2024 really noisy? I probably wouldn't notice it in a machine room, but this is the noisiest thing in my office, and that's where my LAN terminates...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I have a SRW224G4 here right now. I can touch the case by the fan with my outstreached arm and I can't hear the fan.

Sounds like it's broken.

I have had a similar switch with but with only 2x GBE ports (sorry don't know the exact model) on my desk in the past and it was quiet enough too.

Reply to
anybody43

I'd give them a holler, but I suspect it has to do with the extra 180W of power supply to drive the PoE functions.

OK, to answer part of my own question, pull the front cover off (four clips molded into the plastic top and bottom keep it in place) and slide the top cover forward till it can lift off.

The three original fans are 40x40x20 mm:

ADDA DC Brushless Model AD0412HB-C51

12V, 0.15A

addausa.com sez they are (in the family of) 10.1CFM at 31.9dB/A

Plenty of room in the case for blowers and other cooling options.

I've got some aftermarket 10.25CFM@23dB/A fans and some slot coolers (32CFM@28dB/A) on order from CoolerGuys.com, I'll let you know what I come up with.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I got three Sunon 40x40x20 KD1204PKB1 cans from

formatting link
and dropped them in this evening. The box got a lot quieter, but it's still not silent.

The good news is that the 2-pin connectors on the board are a subset of the 3-pin connectors on the new fans, so I was able to plug them in without any adapters or wire splicing.

The bad news is that the fan 'brackets' are stamped metal pieces welded to the case, and the tabs on them protrude into the front of the fan blades. A bit of work with a Dremel tool would probably quiet it down a lot more, but the metal sawdust would probably destroy the box, so I'm gonna try bending them out of the way or replacing them with some slot coolers next time.

More news as it happens... 8*)

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

William,

I have the same switch but my biggest noise problem is the Dell 1750 sitting in my computer room. It's basically a 12x16 drywalls room. Sound just bounces around, very loud. Anyway, I'm curious of what you did thus far as fans are concerned.

Also, I have a strange issue with mine. The first top 12 ports will not come up if anything is plugged into it. I get a link light however nothing can communicate what so ever. I havent' configured anything on it out of the box, any idea why?

Chuck

Reply to
Charles U Farley

"Charles U Farley" top-posted:

Mine drowns out my Apple XServe G5 that it's sitting on top of, even with the new quieter fans. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I hope to find the time to bend the fan brackets out of the way of the fan blades, I'll report back when I do.

[Of course, taking this device down for 'maintenance' means losing half my LAN and all my phones, so it's non-trivial and has to be scheduled for off-hours and performed as expiditiously as possibble. I've got another one on order that I may fiddle with instead...]

I'd call Linksys and get it fixed under warranty, mine doesn't seem to care what's plugged in where. This assumes you've got the latest firmware and have reset it to factory defaults, as that's the first thing Linksys will have you try...]

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I figured out the problem not long after sending that message. For some reason, ports 1-12 were set to non-tagging vlan vs port 13-24 were set to tagged vlan 1. I didn't see anything in the documentation about this setting. I'm trying to get quieter after-market fans for my Dell PE 1750, any ideas who would sell them?

Reply to
Charles U Farley

Look at the physical fans that are in the machine now, and google for them. Find the noise and airflow specs. Goto any number of places (I had good luck at CoolerGuys.com) that you can find with Google and look thru their line of similarly sized fans. Get at least the equivalent airflow, and the lowest noise possible.

Note that not all fan noise comes from the fan, I've had a couple of recent incidences where a fan is placed so close to something else that it makes a lot of wind noise on the intake. Move things or get a thinner fan to quiet that down a lot.

Lots of luck, it's a long and iterative process...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Try hanging some nice tapestries or curtains on the walls. They will absorb a lot of sound. It's why the big box theaters hang them on the side walls. To keep the sound from bouncing.

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.