Linksys WPC11 v4 connecting to Apple Airport problems

I just got a Linksys WPC11 v4 802.11b card for an old laptop I just got handed down. My home network already had an Apple Airport hooked up that worked with my fiance's Apple iBook. When I initially got the laptop (a Celeron 366 Thinkpad) it was running Windows ME, and I tried installing the card under there. It installed fine, and I even got it to connect to the Airport with a strong signal, but it was never able to communicate on the network. I initially tried setting a static IP, in which case the Thinkpad could ping it's own IP, but nothing else on the network, not even the Airport. So then I tried turning on DHCP on the Airport, and the laptop wasn't even getting a IP from the Airport. So then I did a fresh install of Windows XP on this laptop, and installed the drivers, and I had the same problems. Static IP couldn't ping anything else on the network, and it wouldn't get a DHCPed IP. As stated above, the Airport works fine with my fiance's iBook, so that can't be the problem. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Reply to
joltman
Loading thread data ...

If you have loaded XP do you have sufficient RAM? My old 390E(Celeron

366) only had 32MB.The i series may have had 64MB.
Reply to
Bob II

It has 64MB, but as stated the problem existed in ME too, so I can't imagine that would be the problem.

Reply to
joltman

This spec applies to Home and Pro

formatting link
Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

Since it states that 64MB RAM may limit performance and some features I would not consider trying to find the problem while XP is installed as I do not no what limitations would be applied.

Bob

Reply to
Bob II

Well, one thing I forgot to mention was that the Airport was using WEP, and when I turned that off, it connected with no problem. Anyone have any ideas why the Linksys WPC11 would have problems using WEP with an Apple Airport?

Reply to
joltman

There is often device interaction problems if an ASCII phrase was used to generate the WEP Key.It is advisable when using different manf'rs to only use HEX 0-9 and A-F.

Bob

Reply to
Bob II

I think the Airport only let's you set up WEP with an ASCII phrase though, I'll try to look into it more when I get home tonight.

Reply to
joltman

formatting link
Bob

Reply to
Bob II

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.