2613 doesn't support fast ethernet?

I found a cisco web page that said the 2613 ws the only 2600 series router that did not support a fast ethernet card. This does not seem logical, as it is a token ring, and the 2612 has both token ring and ethernet but (by implication) does support fast ethernet. Maybe the web page was from a time when the 2613 was the only 261x series still in manufacturing, or it refered to stock routers, and the 2613 was normally shipped with less memory than other models (so if you upgraded memory, the 2613 would support fast ethernet). Or maybe the page was in error.

Does anybody know what the story is?

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc
Loading thread data ...

Can you point to that web page? If you mean Table 1-3 at

formatting link
I think it just is telling you how many fast ethernet ports are *INSTALLED ON THE MOTHERBOARD* as opposed to "supported" in expansion (Network module/WIC) slots. Seems that 'support' is probably the wrong word 8-).

If you add a Network Module with Fast Ethernet in the one NM slot, you can add fast ethernet to any 2600 series device.

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Thank you. Yes, that is the page I saw, but the 2610-2612 do NOT have a FAST ethernet port on the motherboard, only 10 MB, or so I thought from other documentation. I think the 2610XM does have fast ethernet, but that page does not mention 'XM'. So maybe it's either an error in a web page (it does mean on the motherboard and s/b any kind of ethernet), or maybe Cisco didn't officially support FE on 2613 (to discourage use of 2613 and make it easier to drop the product?) even though it happens to work, the way they have 'rules' on what kind of card can go intot he slots on a 4000, even though it doesn't seem to really matter.

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc

Thats right, all the 26xx (non-XM) have just Ethernet ports, no Fast Ethernet is available. The only option to add one even is only with some of the switch NM cards. The NM-1FE card isn't an option on the 2600.

You're not going to be pushing more than Ethernet speeds through a 2600 anyway. Cisco tends to not bother putting ports rated faster than the device can handle on their gear. If you are looking to push more than Ethernet speeds on a 2600, you'll be disappointed.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Gee, I'd better go have a talk with my 2620 then, it seems to think its got a FastEthernet interface running at 100Mb/s :-)

Reply to
Rod Dorman

According to the Cisco web pages, only the 261x have built in 10 mb, except for the 2613 that has only token ring. One other (I think 2612) has 10 mb ethernet *AND* token ring. The 262x, and higher, as well as (I think) 261x-XM all have built in 100 Mb ethernet. The previously mentioned web page says that the 100 mb module can be run in ALL models EXCEPT 2613, which does not make sense. If you can run it in the 2612 which has token ring and ethernet, why not the 2613 which is token ring only? The only explantion that makes sense to me is if the 2613 was shipped with less RAM than the other models, and so, if you increase the RAM, then you can install a fast ethernet module in the 2613.

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc

Which Cisco web page and which Cisco module?

*this* cisco web page
formatting link
doesn't show any of the 261x models supporting the NM-1FE-TX or FX modules.
Reply to
Doug McIntyre

If you mean table 4, that one *IS* talking about built in, namely "onboard lan ports". In terms of add-in, it only differentiates between 261x through 265x and the -XM or 269x models, that is, if its supported on 262x, its supported on 261x (in the appendices)

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.