WTR54gs Dropping Connection

Hi folks, since there isn't a linksys group I thought I would post my problem in here. Since Cisco owns Linksys I thought there might be a chance somebody here might be able to help. I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g. For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype) the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I don't tink it is a channel issue. I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference. Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have access to an ethernet port.

Reply to
Justin
Loading thread data ...

Justin said the following on 25/06/2010 19:24:

Always keep in mind that wireless networks behave like hubs do That is, when a machine is talkative the others keep waiting (to paint it simple) Try having wireshark portable on 2 pc (one with normal trafic the other making intensive transfers) as you have no means to monitor trafic on the box. The portable version of wireshark uninstalls itself Also I would "netstumbler" around to see how many APs are on the same channel: remind that you must go by step of 3 because of frequency overlapping (1,2,3 = 1ch 3,4,5 = 2nd available ,etc)

I cannot remember if tcpdump is embedded in the wrtg's busybox (think not)

nothing but MHO

Reply to
Daniel-G

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.