Linksys WTR54GS (travel router) connection Problems

I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g. For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype) the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I don't tink it is a channel issue. I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference. Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have access to an ethernet port. The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK. The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge files without a problem when I remove the router. It is not interference since I can sit in the same room without the router and still download from the source AP. Somebody in another group said I should change my station preamble to long - but I can't find the setting to do that.

Reply to
Justin
Loading thread data ...

I suspect the router is falling over from the load. Make sure you're running the latest firmware. If you are, then consider another router. Apple Airport Express is recommended.

Reply to
John Navas

Can the Airport Express share an already wireless connection? That's my problem. I do not have access to ethernet ports at every hotel/motel my team stays at. I need to be able to share the *wireless* connection provided by the hotel.

Reply to
Justin

So - you are using the 54GS to connect to the hotel WiFi or avail Ethernet port, and then share that connection via the 54GS Ethernet ports.....

What are the other devices that don't have WiFi support ?

Wouldn't it be easier overall to create a WiFi solution for the other devices with PCMCIA or USB WiFi cards ?

Reply to
ps56k

We are sharing the hotel's wireless connection via the GS to three or four other machines also wirelessly. The only thing the hotel router would see is the GS. There are no ethernet ports in the equation at all - unfortunately. Most of the hotels we stay at are historic and for some reason they don't like drilling holes through walls to wire each room with an RJ45 port.

Thats what I thought at first, but then we would have to have another laptop constantly on. A device like the wtr54gs seems like a much simpler solution.

Reply to
Justin

I'm confused.... must be semantics.....

What are the other devices... computers ? Do they have WiFi capability or not ?

If the hotels are WiFi enabled, that what exactly is the GS doing that the computers can't do directly ?

hotel WiFi ---> GS --> Wifi --> computer ? hotel WiFi ---------------------> computer ?

Reply to
ps56k

option number 1 - the GS will act as a router. All laptops have wifi capability. Some day we might start bringing a little USB printer which we'll plug into the lone USB port on whatever device we buy - but that's a long way off.

Reply to
Justin

what am I missing ???????? I'm lost.... could you just please simply explain what is connected to what ???

if the laptops have Wifi - then what function is the GS providing ???

Reply to
ps56k

Grr... The GS is routing. If I'm at a hotel I don't want my team to have to pay for each connection - that adds up over the course of a quarter.

Reply to
Justin

Oh yes, *now* I get it. You want to knowingly book your "team" into a hotel that charges per user for its Wi-Fi, then pay for only one connection and steal (yes, I mean *steal*) the rest. Well...good luck getting any more help with *that* from honest people.

I don't know what line of business you and your "team" are in, but I can't help wondering how you would respond if your customers were to act similarly towards you.

And even if you live in a part of the world where free Wi-Fi is rare or even nonexistent in hotels-which I assume you *must* or you'd only book hotels where it *is* free-what would it hurt to try and negotiate a better rate with the hotel to make up for the extra cost, given that you're booking multiple rooms? The results of dealing upfront with people rather than attempting to rip them off behind their backs just

*might* surprise you.
Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

ok - - now I understand why I didn't get it...

Guess I've never been in a hotel/motel situation (USA) where the WiFi was charged for & allocated one user at a time, even in the cheapy ones just off the Interstate.

Anyway - not sure why a heavy download would choke the GS, but remember that you are now using the wireless freqs in a store & forward mode with every packet being downloaded by the GS, processed, re-transmitted, and then the window of replies/acks going back.

Reply to
ps56k

Considering there are products made exactly for that purpose I'm apparently not alone. I have asked for additional accounts and most hotel chains don't even control their own guest internet services. They outsource. So kiss my ass you pretentious prick. You don't have a clue about anything.

Reply to
Justin

I have yet to encounter the exact opposite. I've tried sharing my account info with the rest of my team. I'll be reading an article on CNN or something, click to the next page and I'm greeted with the logon page. But of course according to Johnny boy here I should shell out $15 per user "just because." I'm usre Johnny boy here is so rich he can burn money whenever he wants. What an asshole.

Reply to
Justin

Not alone ASAIK, but two of them cabled together should work.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks John, I'm going to ask the ebay seller for an exchange

Reply to
Justin

wonder what part of the world you are travelling and any named hotels/motels ?

Most of these hotspot software implementations use the MAC address as the authentication.... and merely build a table of entries...

Most of the places that I recall having some kind of ID & password, were either global for the entire establishment, or potentially room assigned - as one place I was at.

SO - if global - then it would be a non-issue for each laptop ... if room assigned, then yeah, then the latest MAC would be the only entry stored.

Reply to
ps56k

BTW - just for an info item, as I forgot Linksys has the WTR54GS - "Wireless Travel Router" and the WRT54GS as the "normal desktop router" family... Easy to see "WTR" and mentally think about the "WRT" as I was....

This entire discussion is about the small "travel router" as here...

formatting link
Why Linksys would create that "travel router" naming so close to the other products is goofy.

Reply to
ps56k

formatting link

Yeah, the WTR is from the days when Linksys was "questionable" and the fact I have one that only partially works seems to reinforce that fact. For casual browsing it works fine. But during a huge file transfer the internet connection drops. I sent a message to the seller to see if I can exchange it.

Reply to
Justin

Hi, I guess f/w is latest?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, it is. They stopped updating it a while back though. I'll post a video showing what its doing. I just have to figure out a way to graph the internet speed and still see the unit's flashing LEDs.

Reply to
Justin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.