Wireless dropping connection

I've been having trouble with my wireless connection dropping about every eight minutes like clockwork. I switched routers for another reason and it still does it and it also does it on my VPN connection at work so I know its not the router. For most of my purposes it is not noticeable since it reconnects almost instantaneously. However, there are a few things I do that this network "blinking" causes great difficulty for. It seems almost like it is trying to refresh the connection or the like since it is so regular. I have checked the IP lease time and it is 2 weeks - not 8 minutes. Any ideas out there for at least what to check? I am at a loss. I know my way around computers but am just now getting into wifi.

Thanks in advance.

Ralink 802.11g miniPCI Wireless network adapter built into a Averatec laptop. WinXP SP2 Home

Reply to
larry asher
Loading thread data ...

I just went through a similar situation and it was caused by a noisy phone line. Check to see if you have a phone service box on the side of your house with a phone jack connection that will let you disconnect the house wiring. If you have access to this little gray box, disconnect your house plug inside this box then plug a phone in here and listen to the line. Disconnecting the house wiring will eliminate ALL possible sources that are your responsibility. If the line is noisy the phone company will check it out and make the necessary repairs. If, however, the problem is within your house wiring or if it is being caused by some phone device you have plugged in, the phone company may bill you for the service call.

Reply to
Gordon

Thanks. I didn't mention that I have a cable modem so the phone line shouldn't be an issue. Also, I use internet phone (Sunrocket) and this also happens at work connecting to the Wifi VPN. Its very annoying there because it does not reconnect automatically, I have to click a "do you want to reconnect" dialog there. Thanks for your response though.

Reply to
larry asher

Reply to
DavidT

Reply to
larry asher

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:44:30 GMT, larry asher wrote in :

The usual cause is interference.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.