VTP Pruning

Is it always necessary to enable vtp pruning. And under what condition will you enable it. Thanks.

Reply to
Someone
Loading thread data ...

No, it's not necessary, but it saves lots of wasted traffic.

The condition where you should enable it, it where you want to stop wasted traffic.

:-)

Configuring VTP Pruning:

formatting link

Reply to
Intuitive

a more basic Q is should you use VTP at all.

personally i think it a p[rooblem, not a solution, and i believe the need vanished once high performance L3 switching arrived.

VTP mode transparent effectively turns it off.

Reply to
stephen

VTP and L3 switching have nothing to do with each other. VTP is a method to create layer 2 vlans across across a set of switches. We leave it on because I can't count how many times I've been called because "traffic isn't flowing" or "DHCP isn't working" and the problem is that a VLAN was created on Switch A, but not on Switch B.

Reply to
Thrill5

agreed - what i was trying to point out is "why design sprawling VLANs in the 1st place?".

L3 switching is the tool that makes it easy to confine VLANs to small areas of a network.

We leave it on

OK - personally i would try to keep any 1 VLAN to a single switch and avoid the need for VTP is the 1st place (but that is an ideal solution - the real world tends to be more messy).

VTP isnt a generic solution anyway - many of the instances where i have had problems with VLANs have not allowed VTP to be used - other manufacturers kit for example.

>
Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.