VALN locally assigned and VTP prunning and Domain

I have got this scenario:

Switch1:-----By default it server vtp domain DOGCAT vtp password CISCO vtp pruning vlan 3,5,6,8,10,26,33,52

Switch2: vtp domain DOGCAT vtp mode client vtp password

Requirement:

VLANs not locally assigned should not be received over any trunk links throughout the VTP domain.

Explanation:

((By default, all VLANs are allowed to be sent over any trunk link in the VTP domain. Therefore, broadcast frames and frames destined for unknown unicast addresses will be sent over all trunks throughout the domain. This behavior is undesirable when one or more switches throughout the VTP domain receive traffic for VLANs that they do not have locally assigned and are not in the transit path for.

In order reduce this unnecessary traffic VTP offers a feature known as pruning. VTP pruning allows a switch to communicate with its directly connected neighbors about what VLANs they have locally assigned and are in the transit path for.

Therefore VLANs that are unnecessary can be “pruned” off of the interface. VTP pruning can be enabled by issuing the vlan database or global configuration command vtp pruning)).

1- Can we consider vlan (3,5,6,8,10,26,33,52) locally assigned ? If so, why do we consider them localy,,,do we consider them locally assigned ,because we define them under "vlan" command in global configuration ? or becaues they are in the same domain (DOGCAT) ?

2- If I have got another switch in the above scenario

Switch3:---------By default it is server. vtp domain DOGCAT vtp password CISCO vtp pruning vlan 13,15,100

Does vlans (13,15,100) consider locally assigned for switch3 only ? though they will be advertised to switch1 and switch2.

Now as we know that switch1 will advertise its valns (3,5,6,8,10,26,33,52) to switch3,,,,,

When I issue the command "prun vlan" global configuration in case of switch3,,,,which vlan will it be pruned off ?

does it prune off the valns (3,5,6,8,10,26,33,52) that have been advertised form switch1 to switch3,,,because they are not locally assigned under global configuration of swtich3 ?

Reply to
zillah
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.