Upgrade PIX515E to PIX 7.0(1) = Flash I/O Error

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade a Cisco PIX 515E from 6.3(4) to version 7.0(1). After installing version 7.0(1) binary I reboot the PIX. The system reboots and attempts to write the activation key to flash (which fails with an I/O error), and then it attempts up update the flash filesystem. The flash filesystem update never completes. The error message is "inconsistency in flash found on second pass", followed by "error formatting flash".

I have attempted to upgrade several times now using the basic method and the monitor mode. For each iteration I am careful to erase the flash, downgrade to PIX 6.3(4), and reformat the flash again under

6.3(4). While running the PIX under 6.3(4), I have never received a flash error.

Trying to get 7.0(1) working, I have even attempted to use the "np634" utility, both on flash that was "formatted" using version 7.0(1) binary and was formatted on version 6.3(4). I realize that np63.bin will not work and will possibly corrupt the configuration on a 7.0(1) flash - but that was my intent. I am hoping that this error is a software format or software-state problem, thus my drastic attempts at upgrading, downgrading, and any attempt to otherwise modify the flash filesystem.

I can boot up and run 7.0(1), but any attempt to access the flash filesystem yields an I/O Error. Therefore I can't save my registration key nor my configuration.

Has anyone had an issue with the flash format when upgrading to 7.0(1)?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
mark
Loading thread data ...

I think I remember reading something that 7.0 requires upgraded flash memory ... and something else that 7.0 is not supported on 515 ... only

525 and up ... you may have to wait for 7.1 ...

-garry

Reply to
Cisco Fan

No, flash is not the problem, but ram. you need 64MB.

Here are the release notes:

formatting link
If you don't have 64MB ram, then use normal pc sdram. ;-)

That works, but it is not supported.

Kindly regards

Gerd

Reply to
Gerd EMail

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.