Newbie question - Upgrade PIX 501

A question from the guru's!

I have a PIX 501 with software version 6.3(1)

Do I have the latest version of 6.3? I looked on the Cisco site and all I can see is references to version 7.0 which is not supported on the PIX 501.

Help and/or links would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Reply to
Mark Moshe
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Mark Moshe

In article , Mark Moshe wrote: :I have a PIX 501 with software version 6.3(1)

:Do I have the latest version of 6.3?

No, 6.3(4)120 is the newest.

: looked on the Cisco site and all :I can see is references to version 7.0 which is not supported on the :PIX 501.

You are correct, 7.0 is not supported on the 501 at this time; it is still fuzzy as to whether it ever will be in any way.

Useful links:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Robert,

Thank you for your reply!

Do you know if I can download the updated version or do i have to contact Cisco directly to obtain the update?

Also, it looks like Cisco uses tftp to update the PIX. Will the existing settings be preserved or will the PIX revert to a "default" state? If so what is the default IP?

Best, Moshe

Reply to
Mark Moshe

You can if you have a CCO user name and password. Normally you will need a support contract to get those.

Yes, but because of the recent vulnerabilities you probably can get the new OS image quite easily.

Yes, the existing configuration will stay intact. The only changes will come when you "write memory" for the first time with the new OS version. Then there will usually be some new default values to fixups and staff like that.

Reply to
Jyri Korhonen

:> Also, it looks like Cisco uses tftp to update the PIX. :> Will the existing settings be preserved...

:Yes, the existing configuration will stay intact. :The only changes will come when you "write memory" :for the first time with the new OS version. Then :there will usually be some new default values to :fixups and staff like that.

Not exactly...

When you boot with the new PIX software version, it will start out with certain new defaults. It will then parse your existing startup configuration; it will see there some commands that are in a slightly different form now, and it will automatically convert them to the new form in the running configuration. The changes won't get locked into the startup configuration until you "write memory", but if you don't "write memory" then all that happens is that each time you boot or reload, the PIX re-parses the old startup configuration, sees the old commands, and converts them into the new forms for use by the running configuration. Whether you "write memory" or not is thus "a difference that makes no difference".

There isn't very much that gets converted between 6.3(1) and

6.3(4). The SIP fixup is the only thing I can think of at the moment.
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Walter/Jyri,

Thank you both for your help! I contacted the TAC and using your advice was able to obtain the updated firmware and upgrade support.

Thank you!

Moshe

Reply to
Mark Moshe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.