Tracking Stolen Cisco switches ?

Hi all,

Last week we had three new Cisco 2950G-EN 48 port switches and two Aironet access points stolen from our store rooms. Is there any way of tracking these? Like phoning Cisco or our Reseller?

The equipment does't have any SmartNet warranty registered against them and unfortunatley we don't know any details such as serial number etc..

I read in a forum that Smartnet and warranties can only be bought from the original Cisco reseller.. is this true? Could i tell them to put a flag on the item so if someone tries to register for it they can question them or something?

Is there anything i can do in this position or should i just hope i get the full amount from Mr Insurance man.

thanks.

Reply to
fourlightson.nntp
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :I read in a forum that Smartnet and warranties can only be bought from :the original Cisco reseller.. is this true?

No, definitely not. There is, however, a reasonable chance that Cisco or the new VAR will bungle the transition between support contracts when you go with a different vendor.

:Could i tell them to put a :flag on the item so if someone tries to register for it they can :question them or something?

If I recall correctly, Brad has mentioned a Cisco list of stolen equipment -- but -someone- would have to know the serial numbers for that. -someone- along the line should have recorded the serial numbers as they were shipped around... but it might not have happened.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

You need to find the "Invoice" from your Cisco Reseller or call them to get your Cisco Sales Order Number.

On the invoice will be the Cisco Sales Order Number ( SO ), this sales order number will have 8 digits starting with a 4.

Once you know the 8 digit Sales Order number you can call Cisco Systems directly at 800-553-6387 Option # 3, then Option # 6.

Provide Cisco with the 8 digit Sales Order number and Cisco will tell you the Serial Numbers on your equipment.

You can purchase a Cisco SMARTnet contract from any Cisco Registered Partner:

formatting link
Cisco does not track stolen equipment.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

thanks for the info guys, what what i've read it sounds like obtaining the serial number doesn't really help any as if Cisco don't track stonlen kit then who ever unknowingly has/buys the switches.. if they call up for support or order a SMARTnet contract then no questions will be asked as the serial number isn't marked as dirty or stolen.

If anyone knows otherwise please let me know. It still looks like Mr insurance will have to pick the tab up on this one.

Thanks.

Reply to
FLO-NNTP

Cisco does not view "stolen" equipment as a "Cisco problem" unless it was "stolen" from Cisco itself.

"Stolen equipment" looking to obtain SMARTnet will need to "purchase" a new Cisco embedded software relicense:

formatting link

Sincerely,

Brad Reese

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.