Is used Cisco equipment safe to buy?

My CTO is asking me to check pricing on used Cisco equipment for our core upgrade. We have never bought used Cisco equipment, but I'm getting a lot of pressure to cut our IT Budget, and my guys seem to think this is a good way to trim the fat.

Is this safe to do? How do I know if the equipment is any good? Are there licensing issues to worry about? Can I get SMARTnet on used equipment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Mark

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

Yes, used equipment should be fine to use. We use it in our core, distribution and access (ISP). It is Cisco Certified Refurbished. Haven't had any trouble with it. Just make sure to buy it from a reputable vendor.

The only licensing issues I know of, is you must use it with the version of IOS that comes on it (unless you have license to upgrade from Cisco).

Not sure about SMARTnet.

A good vendor is:

formatting link
They have great prices and both Cisco certified and non certified used Cisco equipment, I've used both. I prefer the CCR as it comes looking new, no scratches or nothing.

Ask to speak with Mitch. BTW, I have no affiliation with this recommendation nor will I receive anything for this recommendation. Just a good guy and a great company with excellent pricing.

Regards,

Scott

Reply to
scottp2626

Scott - thank you so much. How are the lead times and availability on the CCR and non-CCR equipment? And do you get the same warranty on both? Lastly is there a big price difference between the same item CCR and non-CCR with them?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

There is a lot of good equipment on eBay at a fraction of prices for new equipment. Some of it is current equipment.

I have had particularly good luck getting used Cisco on eBay. Just pay close attention to the details of the listing.

Reply to
Peaceful Bill

Before buying Cisco used, check out

formatting link
and especially

formatting link

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Mark,

First see Phillips last link, it is a good comparison of used vs CCR.

As far as the non-tranferrable license in the used equipment, I've talked to several vendors and even Cicso. You can use the IOS that came with it. Cisco doesn't like it, but from what I've been told it is legal for you to use what came on it. IANAL, so you can ask any Vendor and/or Cisco about this.

As far as the lead time, if they have it in stock- same day shipping. On some things the CCR was actually the same price or less than the used or even ebay stuff.

For instance, 6 months ago I put together a CCIE R&S rack. I was looking for 3550 EMI (L2/L3) switches. Not 3550 SMI's upgraded with EMI. The ones I got were CCR and shipped directly from Cisco for $1150. Which, today, is still a great price, even if you compare to ebay. They looked brand new, came with the rack kit.

As far as the link I sent, Mitch at Dynamic will help you either way (CCR or used) with great pricing, good amount of inventory and usually same day shipping. Most used (non-CCR) has a one year warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't use an ebay-bought router in my production core, Access layer, sure, but not in my core. I do have a non-CCR core router that was bought used from a vendor. Haven't had (knock, knock) any trouble since implementing it 2 years ago.

Regards,

Scott

Reply to
scottp2626

Mark,

First see Phillip's last link, it is a good comparison of used vs CCR.

As far as the non-tranferrable license in the used equipment, I've talked to several vendors and even Cicso. You can use the IOS that came with it. Cisco doesn't like it, but from what I've been told it is legal for you to use what came on it. IANAL, so you can ask any Vendor and/or Cisco about this.

The lead time- if they have it in stock- same day shipping. On some things the CCR was actually the same price or less than the used or even ebay stuff.

For instance, 6 months ago I put together a CCIE R&S rack. I was looking for 3550 EMI (L2/L3) switches. Not 3550 SMI's upgraded with EMI. The ones I got were CCR and shipped directly from Cisco for $1150. Which, today, is still a great price, even if you compare to ebay. They looked brand new, came with the rack kit.

As far as the link I sent, Mitch at Dynamic will help you either way (CCR or used) with great pricing, good amount of inventory and usually same day shipping. Most used (non-CCR) has a one year warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't use an ebay-bought router in my production core, Access layer, sure, but not in my core. I do have a non-CCR core router that was bought used from a vendor. Haven't had (knock, knock) any trouble since implementing it 2 years ago.

Regards,

Scott

Reply to
scottp2626

Mark,

You may wish to investigate:

BradReese.Com Cisco Refurbished with One Year Warranty:

formatting link
If you need SMARTnet you will need Factory Refurbished Cisco:

formatting link
However, our Cisco Repair is great for saving on SMARTnet by having spares available for replacement:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese on Cisco

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.