Cisco 2611 with old Ios installed - need to upgrade?

Hey,

I just got a rather old Cisco 2611 router with 2 10Base-T and one serial wic installed. After quite a time its the first cisco router I had to configure... so I'm kind of outdated with those cisco's as the cisco itself I think...

All I want this 2611 to do is:

make a pppoe connection to a ADSL provider make a dyndns update to be accessible even with a dynamic ip do pat/nat on the internal network forward two external ports to an internal server make it accessible by ar BRI-ISDN (which isn't built in yet) from the outside.

I don't know if the IOS which is installed does really support all this, so, I really appreciate your help if it can do this with this version

cisco2611>sh ver Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 11.3(4)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-1998 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Wed 01-Jul-98 11:48 by phanguye Image text-base: 0x80008084, data-base: 0x80552544

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

cisco2611 uptime is 20 hours, 3 minutes System restarted by reload System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.113-4.T1", booted via flash

cisco 2611 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x202) with 18432K/6144K bytes of memory. Processor board ID JAB030908CE (2392022389) M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 1 Serial network interface(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Thank you very much for your help,

Cheers,

Uli-G

Reply to
trashcan
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@wopr.de schrieb:

No luck, for dyndns you'll need at least IOS 12.4 Mainline or 12.3(14)T. For PPPoE you'll need the PLUS feature set.

Reply to
Uli Link

...and more flash and dram I guess...

Is at least pppoe available in any IOS Version where I don't have to upgrade any hardware? I mean, its a rather old machine...

Cheers,

Uli

Reply to
trashcan

No. It appears.

You will need an ADSL WIC and it looks like you need extra RAM and FLASH. This is in addition to the ISDN WIC.

The min quoted for ADSL support is

16M Flash 64M RDRAM

Your best idea might be to look on ebay for a suitable router.

2611 will probably have trouble keeping up with an 8M dsl too.

formatting link
Everything here except ADSL WIC.

I have no knowledge of this seller and I am not recommending this purchase.

Reply to
bod43

bod43 schrieb:

Bummer...

Do I? I just guessed I could also use an ADSL Bridge on one of the ethernet ports.

Maybe I'll try to get those on ebay somewhere...

Eer.. no.. I wanted to use *this* router for something useful and because I got a third 1 mbit DSL account where I simply look for a pppoe capable router to feed it into the main pfsense box. So I thought ye'goode olde 2611 would do the trick just fine since I don't expect really high performance...

I thought 10 MBit wouldn't be a problem with this kind of cisco?

Does anyone know the original spare part numbers for cisco flash and dram?

thanks!

cheers,

Uli

Reply to
Ulrich Gierschner

That would work. I've done that sort of test.

eBay is sometime pricey. Someplace like MemoryX.net has things for somewhat decent costs. Look there too, or other memory vendors like Crucial, as well as eBay.

Not on a 2611. This router was designed to drive a T1 or two. Cisco low-end routers are *really* slow throughput. You are buying cisco for the name and the feature set and the reliability. NOT for the throughput of them. :(

A stock 2611 I usually measure out at about 5-6Mbps throughput..

Check the MemoryX.net site. They'll list part #s, pictures, config options, diagrams, etc. Its a simple format anyway, like MEM-2600-64M or so.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Well, if you get cold at night you could plug it in and take it to bed with you. I think it will quite likely keep you warm 'n' toasty as long as you have some suitable insulation.

Or maybe you have a *very* small boat that needs an anchor?

Alternatively, if you have an old car with holes in the floor, you might be able to recycle the sheet metal and weld it into the car.

Otherwise, you are out of luck. It is approximately useless as a router.

PS I forgot to mention, you might consider using it as a paperweight. Or a club.

Reply to
bod43

bod43 schrieb:

With a cheap NM-8A/S or at least 2 WIC-2T it may still be usefull as a nice reverse telnet console server.

Reply to
Uli Link

This is correct.

Please accept my apologies - I had a couple of beers and went a bit far with the post.

On reflection I don't think it would make a very good club.

:-)

Reply to
bod43

Not WIC-2T's.. You want WIC-2A/S's. The WIC-2T's are sync only.

You could also use a NM-4A/S.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Bob Vaughan schrieb:

Nope, you can switch every port from default sync mode to async. I use an else obsolete 1720 with 2 WIC-2T and it works nice. The WIC-2A/S are cheaper when bought new, but on ePay things are different, and I don't think that the terms of Cisco warranties and Smartnet apply on a 2611 which recently changed it's owner. It works as is or ends up in the recycling bin or doorstopper.

Reply to
Uli Link

bod43 schrieb:

Ey! It's a nice piece of hardware...

I just git the ram and flash now its gonna do some nat routing for the 1 Mbit ADSL line...;-)

Cheers,

Uli

I hate to throw hardware away...

Reply to
Ulrich Gierschner

Smartnet is not available for products past 12 months of end-of-sale date:

formatting link
The OP might want to look at the 800 or 1800 series for a modern equivalent.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.