Link connected question

Hi,

I know this is probably an amazingly dumb question, but what *exactly* does it mean when an Ethernet link is connected? Does that mean it can sense the media, and it does some kind of test to make sure it can send and hear uncorrupted frames on the segment?

It sounds like a really silly question, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to it anywhere, everything just says "if the link light is on, you're connected"... ok, but what *exactly* does that mean? I ask more out of curiosity than any practical reason :)

Thanks!

Reply to
rtrickey
Loading thread data ...

If you refer to the status LEDs commonly found on NICs and Ethernet Switches then your answer would be "it does receive Link Pulse sequences (10 Mbps Ethernet) or IDLE symbols (100 Mbps Ethernet and faster)".

It does *not* imply any information on the quality of your link, there is no checking for correct transmission and and reception of frames.

Reply to
Denis Jedig

Reply to
rtrickey via HWKB.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.