Swapping a 828 - default access

I am trying to swap a faulty Cisco 828 - did a TFTP backup of the running config and put the new cisco in.

But it does not come up - I was expecting that you would be able to telnet to 10.10.10.1 and then do a copy tftp running-config - but I am not able to even ping the interface.

The RXD and TXD LEDs on the ethernet side is constanly on - not flashing like normally indicating data activity.

Do I need a serial cable to access the router, or should I be able to (like I think) telnet to the standard 10.10.10.1 ? Maybe I am not patient enough - the old Cisco is up a bit faster?

What are the steps needed to get the new router up and running with the config from the old one, that I got from the TFTP-session?

Regards, Lars.

Reply to
Lars Bonnesen
Loading thread data ...

It really depends - that is the default SDM IP address, so if SDM is not installed, or the default startup-config file is not there, and the config is missing, then it may not come up with an IP. The easiest way to tell all this is to use the console cable which comes with the router - this way you can upload the configuration file directly via copy/paste method into Hyperterminal.

My 837 takes around 5 minutes to become up - lights start flashing usually after this - may be shorter, but it seems to take ages!

Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Hodgson

Well we only got the box - nothing else... I have got a cable from an HP fiberswitch - will the pinout be the same, you think?

- this way you can upload the configuration file

Ok - the file I TFTP'ed? How - by xmodem command? Do I have to do a copy running-config starting-config before I turn the power?

Yep... (-;

Regards, Lars.

Reply to
Lars Bonnesen

Hi Lars,

Cisco uses a special "rollover cable" for a console. If you take two RJ45 ends, one connector will have wires like 12345678, and another will have them as 87654321. Just ask friends or people around, who has a Cisco equipment - these cables usually come with every router or switch, and people usually have tons of them. Or, if you could wait for a couple days, you can look at eBay for them.

Actually, if you can not access the router from the network, it could be the only way to find what's going on. However it's strange. Did you get the replacement directly from the Cisco or from the supplier? Cisco usually erases all configs before they ship refurbished devices, but if you got it from somebody else, it just could have a previous owner's config.

Theoretically you could try to sniff the communication from the router when it boots up - probably you could determine it's IP address. But if it has an old config - most likely it has the old password. So, you will need the console cably anyhow.

Good luck,

Mike

formatting link

Reply to
CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com

"CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

I got it from the supplier. To me it looks like it cannot boot totally, because the to LEDs er constant on. Like no config at all?

Regards, Lars.

Reply to
Lars Bonnesen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.