Static Routes on 1721 Serial Interfaces

Hello All,

This is my first forray into the world of IOS. I've set up a couple of PIX firewalls' quite successfully and now am on to a new project. Connecting branch offices with Cisco 1721's. I know they are end of life but we have a number of them on hand.

Essentially, what I'm looking to build is this:

formatting link
I need to setup the two branch office routers with 1721's and I'd also like to have one 1721 that accepts both branch offices at our headquarters. Each of the routers has a WIC-1DSU-T1.

I need to add a static route to each of the branch office routers and point them to the headquarters, but I wasn't sure if I could do this with a Serial Interface because our T1's will be placed in a bridged mode. I was hoping I could be pointed in the right direction.

1 - Can I assign a class B IP address and subnet mask to a Serial Interface card? 2 - Can I add a route to the Serial0 Card? 3 - Can the Serial0 Card at the headquarters side have two routes on it? 4 - What would the configuration look like for this if it is possible?

Pre-emptive thanks.

Reply to
jimjawn
Loading thread data ...

Huh? If you're bridging, then why would you need route statements? You just place both interfaces into the same bridge group.

I'd recommend against bridging accross a WAN connection though, its far too easy for people to do stupid things when they are in different sites, and just about everything supports full routed connections now.

I'm not sure how you expect to be bridging accross the Internet anyway.

Nobody since the early '90s properly has spoken of Class B IP addresses.

Do you mean you want to run a private IP space on your serial interfaces? (again, you can't be bridging if you are talking about putting IPs on your serial interfaces?).

Yes, you can run private IPs if you are running the T1 directly between sites. If you are running it on the Internet, you'll be using the IP address assigned to you by your service provider.

The router only has one routing table, its not per interface, its a global table. You can route to an IP address, or you can route something to an interface.

Sure, it could have as many routes to it as you have memory in your router.

Your post is confusing, first you talk about bridging, then you keep asking about routing. The basic guides on Cisco's web site cover what it sounds like you want in all their most basic installation guides?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Doug,

Thanks for the response. I'm sure the post is confusing because I'm confused. I'm getting a PWAN from speakeasy

formatting link
Its a Point to Point connection (frame-relay alternative) that doesn't travel the public internet. It stays on SpeakEasy's network. The netopia routers (SpeakEasy's Endpoints) are placed in "bridge mode" (which may or may not be the same thing you are describing) The one condition to using this service is that our sites need to have routers on both ends of this PWAN with static routes that point to the respective sites.

And I used the Class-C nomeclature because in my cisco documentation they refer to it time and time again in all their examples. Like OSI. In any event, I envisioned a connection that would be something like this...

HQ Ethernet0 | Serial0 Serial0 | Ethernet0 Branch Office 1

10.0.0.x 10.0.0.254 | 172.25.0.1 172.25.0.2 | 10.1.0.254 10.1.0.0

HQ Ethernet0 | Serial0 Serial0 | Ethernet0 Branch Office 2

10.0.0.x 10.0.0.254 | 172.25.0.1 172.25.0.3 | 10.2.0.254 10.2.0.0

What I would like to know is can this setup be done? Can I use one

1721 with one serial interface to connect two branch office connections? Judging from you post the answer is yes, but my question would be how? All the configuation examples I've seen use a T1 connection on the serial interaface, we're not using a T1, we're plugging into "bridged" netopia routers. Hopefully this clarifies things a bit. I'm not classically trained in this sort of stuff yet although I do plan on getting CCNA as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Jim

Doug Mc> >This is my first forray into the world of IOS. I've set up a couple of

Reply to
jimjawn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.