Force Serial Interfaces Up

This is a complete noob question.

Have a pair of Cisco 2501's. Have them connected back to back with HD60

DCE/DTE cables S0 to S1. IP connectivity is up. Can ping IP address of S0 and S1 from either end. Have IP addresses for additional networks assigned to Eth0 on each 2501. Running Rip V2 to advertise these networks.

Here is where I am running into problems. I'm attempting to assign IP addresses to the unused serial interfaces and have RIP advertise these networks as well. But since there isn't anything physically connected to these serial interfaces, I can never get them to go into an up/up state. Therefore, they don't show up as directly connected entries in my route table and are never advertised by RIP.

Is there way to force these interfaces up to make this work? I thought I knew how to do this, but it's been a while.

Thanks in advance...

Regards, Chris

Reply to
Turlockaviator
Loading thread data ...

Use Loopback interfaces instead.

Doan

Reply to
Doan

Reply to
Mike Dorn

The serials are gonna stay down if nothing's connected to 'em. Why don't you create some loopback interfaces and assign / advertise their IPs ?

Reply to
John Agosta

to answer your question, u can use "no keepalive" on the interface. but using loopbacks is the way to go.

formatting link

Reply to
June03

Thanks everyone. Have always used loopback0 interfaces in the past for management purposes, but never considered them for anything more than this. So multiple loopbacks will be a great solution in a training environment.

Reply to
Turlockaviator

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.