snmp-server ifindex persist

Hi all,

I am building a network monitoring system using RTG (rtg.sourceforge.net), which polls interfaces over SNMP, based on the interface index. Since interface numbers tend to change after reboots etc. on several Cisco devices / IOSes, data returned by the devices gets mixed in the database (ie. interfaces / results don't match anymore).

I'm looking into solving this problem. Having tested a 1721 (IOS

12.2(13)ZH5), I can say the command snmp-server ifindex persist works perfect - interface indexes actually persist after a cold boot and even after adding / removing WICs.

I must know on which devices / IOSes this command is available and is known to work properly, but testing everything by hand takes a lot of time and effort.

Does anybody have information or links to documentation on this subject?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Willem Vervuurt The Network Factory (The Netherlands)

Reply to
Willem
Loading thread data ...

I know, really bad form to reply to one's self, but I have some more info. I am especially interested in ways to persist interface indexes on the following types of Cisco devices:

Cisco SOHO78 Cisco 1600R Cisco 1600 Cisco 3725 Cisco 7401 Catalyst 1924-A Catalyst 1924-EN Catalyst 2924XL Catalyst 2924M-XL ATM Module Catalyst 3508XL Catalyst 2940 Catalyst 2950 Catalyst 3550 Lighstream 1010

All other Cisco devices we use support the command 'snmp-server ifindex persist' - when using IOS 12.1(5)T and higher. These devices are:

Cisco 826 / Cisco 827 Cisco 828 Cisco 836 Cisco 837 Cisco 1700 Cisco 2600 Cisco 3640 Cisco 7200 Cisco 7500

Again, any input will be much appreciated!

Regards,

Willem

Willem heeft uiteengezet op 9-5-2005 :

Reply to
Willem

Hi Willem,

According to Cisco's website:

12.0(11)S This command was introduced.

12.1(5)T This command was integrated into Cisco IOS Release 12.1(5)T.

So I would assume that is in all high-number releases that have any snmp functionality. This is an assumption, however, YMMV.

-Richard

Reply to
Richard Graves

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.