SNMP-Variables not available (anymore?)

Hello all

We have got a Cisco 4006. Some time ago the mrtg-statistics stopped to work. It's asking for OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.1, 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.2,

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.3 etc. but after .2 it gets "noSuchName" back. Checking manually with snmpget gave me the same result. .1 and .2 return some values, .3, .4 etc. return the error.

It's snmp v1 using the ro-community (name set myself).

snmptable shows me a huge table full of interfaces - therefore I am puzzled why there are no values for any > 3.

The mrtg-setup is not new. It was working for several months. But we had to do a password-recovery around the time it stopped to work.

I checked the snmp-settings in the switch for many times and set them again with the help of tutorials (2 of them telling me the same steps). No idea what I did wrong even though I have to admit that I am not yet very skilled in Cisco IOS (didn't get much farther than configuring a few ports and VLANs).

Any idea?

Regards Peter

Reply to
Peter Guhl
Loading thread data ...

In article , Peter Guhl wrote: :We have got a Cisco 4006. Some time ago the mrtg-statistics stopped to work. :It's asking for OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.1, 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.2, :1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.3 etc. but after .2 it gets "noSuchName" back. :Checking manually with snmpget gave me the same result. .1 and .2 return :some values, .3, .4 etc. return the error.

Is it possible that the interfaces got internally renumbered, so that now the third interface is not .3 but something else? That could happen if snmp ifindex persist got lost.

The interface list can be read off by walking .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I had a bit of trouble find that OID (probably something I did wrong) but snmptable with the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2 got me the clue that it's indeed a renumbering. ifIndex goes "1, 2, 201, 202,

203..." I guess that's it.

Many thanks for the tip! I had it in front of my eyes but didn't see it ;)

Any idea how this renumbering (or that snmp ifindex persist getting lost) could have happened? Something during the password recovery procedure? I would like to avoid that in the future - if possible...

Regards Peter

Reply to
Peter Guhl

If your have snmp ifindex persist turned off (the default), a reboot can renumber interface IDs. If you have it turned on, reboots generally have been pretty stable at keeping the same interface IDs. IOS upgrades have not :(

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I just heard that somebody added some blades with new ports around that time too... I guess that's not only a reboot but also a rather good cause for a ID-renumbering...

Regards Peter

Reply to
Peter Guhl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.