simple t1 fail over

I have 2 PPP t1 lines running into a 1720 router

I would like to have traffic follow one path and if that path is down......start following a different path

s0 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252 s1 10.0.1.1 255.255.255.252 fe0 10 0.3.1 255.255.255.0

I am using eigrp as a routing protocol.

What can i do to accomplish this.

All of my LAN traffic goes through 10.0.0.1 now. IF that is down i would like my traffic to pick up on 10.0.1.1

Can i weight the lines with some sort of preference command or somthing or will EIGRP take care of this automatically?

it seems simple enough.

Reply to
rampitup106
Loading thread data ...

Oh...i should have mentioned....

My i dont have any static routes

could i take and make ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.2 for my default route

and also put in

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.2 5

would that route all my traffice through the static route (administrative distance of 1) and then if that wasnt availible ...follow the eigrp static route (administrative distance of 5)??

or again....is this something that eigrp takes care of automatically?

Reply to
rampitup106

quoted text -

Maybe i should explain better here

Im trying to build a triangle.

right now our 2 remote sites connect to our host router via t1 lines.

We want to put a t1 between the 2 remote sites to provide service if one of the 2 lines goes down. The remote site woudl then travel through the other remote site to get to the host.

Reply to
rampitup106

You need a "bandwidth" statement on each interface. If the primary line has a higher bandwidth than the secondary line then there is nothing else you need to do. If they are the same, add a "delay" statement to secondary line. Never use a "bandwidth" statement to adjust metrics. The bandwidth statement is used for other things than just calculating the EIGRP cost. "bandwidth" should always be what the actual bandwidth of the line is, and use delay to change a link's "cost".

The following link will shows you exactly how to do this using EIGRP.

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.