SFP to GBIC SM Connectivity question

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has connected a GBIC and SFP together using SM fiber cable. Or, if anyone knows if it's possible in the first place?

I figure it should be, but why I wonder is because one of the devices Cisco says runs at 1300nm, and the other runs at 1310nm.

Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Everest

Reply to
Everest
Loading thread data ...

I've done it.

There should not be a frequency difference, as both implement

1000Base-SX over fibre, which has a frequency that is fixed by the standard.
Reply to
Walter Roberson

It's single-mode I'm referring to, which I think is 1000Base-LX. In the standard (just what I've read, not the RFC) it seems to suggest there is a range between about 1280-1240nm (or so). Both the SFP and GBIC both state that they meet the 1000Base-LX standard however.

So just to clarify, you've connected a GBIC and SFP over single-mode cable?

Reply to
Everest

Reply to
Everest

Ah, sorry, it was MM now that I think of it. But the principle is the same, that both need to work within the same defined frequency range for any given standard.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I have. From a 3550 to a 3560. No problems.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Sorry if I change a little bit the topic, anyone has experienced links with mixed cisco switches and 3com switches using sfps? I'm interested in your experience with both sx and lx technology. Tnx, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.