Set up router and wic1-adsl

Hi guys.

I have the oppurtunity to upgrade my external router to a cisco 2610XM and wic1-adsl. my current router is on it's last legs (cause unknown: maybe bad soldering inside)

The router would sit in the following configuration.

217.blah.blah.4 PPP over ATM Router (Cisco 2610XM) no NAT - ADSL OVER POTS |10.1.1.1 | 10.1.1.2 Repeater ------------ Logger / Packet sniffer | | F/WALL ------------- DMZ ----- Services (on 217.0.0.0) | |217.blah.blah.5 Nortel Router (NAT mode) |192.168.172.1 / | \\ / | \\ End Clients (192.168.172.0)

I just want to know what speeds the WIC1ADSL can support and whether my above configuration would work. I have tried as much as possable on packet tracer,

I also have no experience of configuring Cisco routers. i have dabbled a bit on packet tracer and know how to set up routes and NAT rules etc. but i would like to see a couple of sample configs

My ISP is BT business ADSL broadband (cable only) and i have a PPPoA usename and password that need to be used when connecting to the internet

I also would like to know whether WIC1-ADSL can support speeds up to

8Mbit/s or whether i would need the ADSL2 for that
Reply to
jamezthorne
Loading thread data ...

The WIC-1ADSL does up to 8Mbps speeds. The 2610XM theoritically does about 10Mbps of worst-sized packets and CEF switched, although I'd still worry about the 2610XM melting down doing ADSL full bore and NAT and Firewall inspection turned on.

cisco.com has a ton of them. You just have to find them in the tech support document areas. Cisco routers are very not dependant on this set of features goes with this router. Any IOS based router config will look very much like a 2610XM one. Ie. Search the 800 series DSL routers for configs too.

That should be fine. Search cisco.com for PPPoA DSL config.

WIC-1ADSL should be able to do 256k-8M. Anything higher than that will need ADSL2, and the HWIC-ADSL card in an ISR router.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Seems a bit complicated. I would take a far different approach. Trunk the 2610 to a switch and create a vlan for each network. Mirror a switch port for the logger. Use acls on the inside public interface. Nat private addresses using the inside public address. No repeater, no dedicated firewall, no second router.

Reply to
Network Blackjack

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.