ADSL Router connected to another router problem

I have brought a new ADSL ethernet router which has 4 ethernet ports. When computers are connected directly to one of these ports, it works without any problems.

When I use one of these ports to connect to another router (to host 5 computers), the computers on this router cannot connect to the Internet, but can access the ADSL Router at 192.168.1.1

When you access 192.168.1.1, you can see all the computers from the router under LAN settings

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
tommylux
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
tommylux

Unless you understand what you're doing you should really only have 1 router and put a switch on one of the LAN ports to allow extra computers / devices to connect.

Stacking routers requires some special understanding and a router that doesn't assume that 192.168.x.x will never need to get to the WAN port.

Reply to
DLR

DLR wrote: (snip)

Well, it shouldn't be that hard, but the usual instructions assume

192.168.1.x, which you can't use for both of them.

I do know that the Linksys WRT54G will run 10.x.y.z out its WAN port. I have one between my home wireless net and home wired net.

Probably for the OP, though, stacking routers isn't needed. Unless you really want separate subnets, you probably don't want to do it.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

make sure that the dhcp server is disabled on the second router and assign it a static address outside the dhcp range on the first router

Reply to
Dave

glen herrmannsfeldt wrote in news:efh26u$igg$ snipped-for-privacy@naig.caltech.edu:

The WRT54G also has a setting on the Advanced Routing of Setup that may help. Operating Mode is set to Gateway if it is attached to the Internet(WAN) directly. If it is behind another router, set it to Router Mode. I believe that way it will be on the same subnet, no double NAT and everything on the LAN is available as well as access to the Internet. I have no means to test this, but I do remember something vaguely that it would work that way, and the help implies that. HTH

Reply to
John Gray

Apologies, The ADSL Router is connected to a switch so it should be even easier.

I think I know what the problem is, Perhaps our Internet supplier; TalkTalk is only allowing one computer to connect to the Internet (using the MAC/Physical address) as we have tried using the complete settings on other computers, and it did not work. Have even tried connecting these computers directly into the ADSL Router.

The computer which connects is the first computer we put used broadband with talktalk on, and because TalkTalk are strictly limiting the usage of their 50:1 ratio broadband, it is likely they are limiting the connection to be shared.

I am using D-Link 504T router, with the latest firmware. I will try disconnecting the first computer and see if there is an option for MAC Masking to see if this is a case.

By the way, I had no problems with BT!

WALKWALK FROM TALKTALK download speeds of 27kb/s at peak times!

Reply to
tommylux

Come on guys, any ideas?

Tom

tommylux wrote:

Reply to
tommylux

Come on guys, any ideas?

Tom

tommylux wrote:

Reply to
tommylux

Come on guys, any ideas?

Tom

tommylux wrote:

Reply to
tommylux

You have to enable routing so that the ADSL router will know how to get to the user segment behind your new router. Also, your ADSL router must know how to NAT for the user segment. Something most consumer cablemode/adsl routers cannot do. Another option is to enable NAT on the new router so that all users on the new router will be NAT'ed to the IP of the ADSL segment 192.168.1.0.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Problem fixed:

I looked at the Local Area connection Properties for the computer already working with the internet. under the list box for "This connection uses the following items:" I noticed that It had "QoS Packet Scheduler" when the non working computers didn't.

Also, the computers without the internet connection had "Microsoft TCP/IP", the computer with working internet did not have this installed.

So basically, on the non working computers, I installed "QoS Packet Scheduler" and Uninstalled "Microsoft TCP/IP" and after a reset, all works.

I dont know why, this has worked, but I am sure one of you guys will fill me out. So easily missed.

So now, I am typing this message from the computer once had a problem with MR ADSL Router.

Thanks Tom

Hansang Bae wrote:

Reply to
tommylux

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.