Set up wifi card prior to router?

Hi,

I received a wifi PCI Card today, but the router for the house has not yet arrived.

Can I install and setup the card on my pc prior to the arrival of the router?

I do not yet have the WPA Preshared Key. I will receive this when the router is established. Do I need this to install the card?

I note that the instuctions say that the antenna can be bent if necessary. Does this need to be done with caution?

I note that there is printed on the card a MAC number. What is this number, and how is it used.

Thanks

Reply to
species8350
Loading thread data ...

Another point that occurs to me.

When I am setup to communicate with the router, will I be able to protect my pc from others who connect to the router. For example, can I stop them from gaining access to my drive, memory, etc.

Thanks

Reply to
species8350

Unless you wish to try connecting to someone else's wifi network, installing the card now is pointless.

No, but you need the key to access your router.

Most things are better done with a bit of care. Later on, when you no longer like your wifi card, bend the antenna with reckless abandon and see what happens.

Each ethernet device has a unique MAC address. Your router may offer filtering by MAC address and if you wish to use it, you must enter a list of acceptable MACs. This sort of security is easily bypassed and may not be worth the bother.

To gain entry to your network, others must have that key you're waiting for. Users having the correct key can enter your computer only if you leave route(s) open. Use a good firewall on each computer connected to the lan.

Have fun with your new stuff!

Bryce

Reply to
Bryce

Unless you distribute your WPA key as I understand it no one else can get on your network. There are some ports that probably should be blocked.

Reply to
Rick

Yes , sure, see if you can "see" other networks around where you live. It won't wear it out, and you might gain some useful information, specially if you google a bit too.

You make up your WPA key. Call it species83502010 if you want. Nobody must know the key, except you, of course. Once you have set the key for the router, you have to set the same one for the PCI card. It's like a password. Anyone with that exact password can use your network. So make it long and difficult.

Like I said, sometimes you can fold it on it's hinge, if it has one. But never bend it

It identifies your card. You can spoof it if you want to pretend you are someone else. Read this. Keep you happy till router arrives

formatting link

Reply to
Shadow

You'll need the key and your router's SSID to connect to your router.

Presumably, your router will come pre-configured with these items so that you don't have to use a hard-wired PC for the initial configuration.

Since you'll have to run the card's setup program again to enter the key and SSID, you might as well wait until you have what you need.

Of course if you're anxious, there's nothing to stop you from running the setup utility beforehand, just to familiarize yourself with its operation.

Probably :-)

Every network device (NIC, WiFi adapter, etc.) has a Media Access Control number

formatting link

Your router MAY have the capability to do MAC address filtering. You can usually either allow or prevent access to your network by entering desired or unwanted MAC addresses in a list maintained by your router.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Thank for responding.

I wanted to set up the card prior to the arrival of the router just to get the task out of the way.

But since I will need to redo the installation when I get the WPA key and the SSID, I may as well wait.

Best wishes

S
Reply to
species8350

I used my card for 2 years before I set up the WPA and SSID. Just go ahead and install it. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

If the OP's router is coming pre-configured with WPA, that's not particularly good advice.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I don't follow. No PCI card comes with WPA pre-configured. You configure it when the router arrives. I have a laptop with a USB wireless dongle that I have to configure for every place I go. I believe that is the norm. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

You didn't follow the thread, that's clear.

Nor did you read my post. It's his ROUTER that's apparently coming pre-configured with the WPA key. Or at least that's the way I read his posts.

Yes, that's the gist of the thread.

So far as I can tell, the OP is only interested in setting things up to talk to his own router.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

What if you use the computer someplace that has WI-FI that is not in your home? I think that you are narrowing the use if WI-FI>

Reply to
Rick

Bert is right, I am only interested in talking to my own router - when it finally arrives.

Reply to
species8350

- Your wireless adapter card is simply a radio. You can buy a radio just to listen to one program or station if you want, but you can plug it in and test it anytime- no need to wait.

-If you ever want accurate advice about using that specific device and it's antenna please provide the name and model of adapter.

- When your router arrives, connect your pc by cable to it and go into the router's configuration using a web browser. It will come with instructions for doing this. From there, you can set up the router name and security password (for access to configuration) then the SSID (what name it broadcasts). For iinitial setup, leave wireless security off for the moment.

Disconnect the ethernet cable and try to find the SSID by scanning with your installed wireless card for your SSID. Connect and verify that you can get to the router's configuration and also go online.

Once you see that this works, turn on the router's wireless security and give it your own WPA key and make it 20 characters long (or more).

Finally, attmept to connect again with the card and enter the same WPA key in your card's utiltiy. Verify that it works.

- MAC address is useful for various things but you probably won't need it. MAC address filtering (done from the router) is not good for security. Ignore the address for now unless there is some specific reason you are asked for it.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

The router will be set up by someone else - the owner.

I am only concerned with connecting my pc via a wifi card.

I was surprised that you advised against MAC filtering at the router. It sounds like a good idea to me. I will simply give the number on the card to the chap who owns the router. This chap is reliable (a relative) and trustworthy to 100% (as near as I can calculate it).

Thanks

Reply to
species8350

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, species8350 chose the tried and tested strategy of:

If you're using decent crypto then MAC address filtering is merely a layer of inconvenience for little or no security gain.

Reply to
alexd

Which is why I advised you to set up the card beforehand. Then you could have read up on mac addresses, how to use wireshark or kismet or airdump, and discovered how many minutes it will take that snotty-faced neighbor's son to crack your network. []'s Just use WPA , all other encryptions are a waste of time. MAC, WEP, "hiding" ESSIDs are just inconveniences to a cracker. In fact, they will draw attention to your network. FWIW.

Reply to
Shadow

Are you saing that I can communicate with the reouter irrespective of whether it (the router) has registered the MAC number of my wifi card). This registration process appears to be recommended by the manufacturer of the router as the initial level of the security system. Higher levels are then introduced. Does this seem like a good idea. All the other security levles will be invoked on top

Reply to
species8350

Hmmm, Router and card will come with manual or set up CD. Start from there. To assure least trouble they both better be by same vendor. Antennas does not bend, it swivel or turn on pivot.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Usually, 99%, yes. You still haven't given us the model of the router. You can usually download the manual from the internet. Just give the link to the model, and I'll tell you.

No, use only WPA. The other security measures will just draw attention. It shows you are trying to hide something, and not very good at it. It would be the first router I'd crack, (if I was a hacker). []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.