ADSL Router

Can anyone recommend a Cisco ADSL Router for use at home? Is it worth going for the Soho 97, or will an older model be as good? TIA.

Reply to
rob
Loading thread data ...

Do you have any specific requirements, or will "Must be Cisco" "Must do ADSL" suffice? :-)

Ta,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Smith

I guess thats about it. Im studying for CCNA and wanted something to play with, but want to end up with something I can make use of as well. I just don't want to end up with something too old. Hopefully someone will have had experience of these and know which models might have certain disadvantages.

Reply to
jedimaster rob

oh yes, preferably with switch ports on the back instead of a hub.

Reply to
jedimaster rob

Ah, same boat as me! An 837 would do sterling service, as it:

A) Does ADSL B) Has switch ports (4 of them! And they do 10/100!). But wait, there's more... C) It's a Cisco and does IOS goodness.

However, if you're not willing to give your bank manager a heart attack by saying you want to spend the sharp end of 300 quid on a router (new), you look at:

The SOHO 91/Cisco 831 don't have the modem built into them - I'm making a huge assumption that you're based in the UK. If I'm wrong, then you'll have to work this bit out yourself: UK services are generally wires-only, which requires the use of a modem on the end of your phone line. The 837 has this

- the 830, doesn't. It's just got an ethernet on it. If your ADSL is presented on ethernet, you're fine with this.

The 827 is another choice, but these are a bit older than the 837 - depends what you want. The 827 is fine for learning IOS on, and the 827-4V is definitely still a current model.

There's more details here:

formatting link
Your other option is to get a suitable chassis and a ADSL WIC.

Hope that's useful,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Smith

The Soho9x is basically a slightly stripped down C83x.

The Soho lacks the - managed 4 port swith (unmanaged only) - hardware accelarator for 3des VPN. - IPv6 features and some routing protocols.

Officially the Soho series isn't upgradeable. But putting a MEM830-16D in a Soho96 or Soho91 simply works, and you can run 12.3(14)T1 then ;-)

48MB RAM isn't enough for C83x's 12.3(14)T1. Only brand new devices have 64MB RAM.
Reply to
Uli Link

Look at the 827 or 837 models - fixed ADSL and Ethernet switches. If you want modular look at one of the 1700 series with a ADSL WIC and fixed Ethernet.

None

Reply to
none

please, regarding vpn capability yof soho9x:

for maintaining multiple vpn tunnels, i [bisicaly] need to config:

crypto isakmp key xxxxxx peer_address set peer peer_address match address address_range_id access-list address_range_id permit ip inside_address outside_address

repeating these four lines of config, tunnel is created [of course the same to be done on both sides]

am i [basicaly] right?

is such number of available tunnels limited [memory, cpu performance]? if yes, should "overflowed" tunnel suffer from "nonreachable/timed out"? if limited, does it mean that "simultaneously on line", while you may have many, but not concurently active [with flow] tunnels?

thanks for any comments.

Reply to
gabor salai

What about a Cisco 678 ADSL Router. As far as I know they are relialible units. Please email me back with any comments at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. Thanks

Reply to
Adam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.