Moved from ADSL to Cable. How to set up?

Hi all. This will be a bit verbose, but generally, the more info I give, the easier it is for someone to understand the issues.

I've recently moved from a fully working set up in the UK to Israel, where I'm out of my depth, and don't understand the language either - so anyone who could help me here, can't tell me what to do anyway.

In the UK I had a D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL modem/router, which I connected to the internet via the UK landline phone lines. I then had 2 computers and my IPAQ all connected wirelessly to the DSL-G604T and all could communicate with each other, and use the internet. Computer 1 (which I've brought with me) had a wireless card installed, Computer 2 had a USB dongle attached, and the IPAQ has its own internal device for receiving anyway.

Now I've moved to Israel, and I've brought with me Computer 1. the DSL-G604T and my IPAQ.

My host has a cable modem a TERAYON TJ715 which means I can't just replace her modem with my DSL-G604T.

Here come the questions: I have my own thoughts about how I could do this, but it would be much better if someone who knew what they were doing could save me travelling up blind alleys.

1) Is it possible to use the DSL-G604T solely as a router, since the modem side of it is superfluous now? If so, should it be attached via a cable to a) my hosts computer, b) my computer) c) directly to the modem via the ethernet port on the modem, bearing in mind that there are warnings on the modem about not connecting the modem via usb (which is how it connects to my hosts computer at present) and the ethernet port at the same time.

2) Would it be possible to attach the cable modem to the DSL-G604T, leave them both on permanently, and then access from any computer without my hosts computer having to remain on permanently.

3) Would I be better off by purchasing a cable modem equivalent to my DSL-G604T? (i.e. both a modem and router) If so, what are the implications with the service provider. If passing this test, can someone suggest a suitable make/model. Most of the main brands are available here, but I know for certain that I can obtain D-Link and Linksys.

I have a couple of wireless cards available, so I'm not concerned with that side of things.

D-Link have recommended a networking program which I'll use to get it all set up, so the software/addresses/security/protocols are something that I'll leave until I've got all the machines capable of talking to each other.

Many thanks to all who take the trouble to respond. Howard

Reply to
Howard G
Loading thread data ...

"Howard G" hath wroth:

formatting link
In order to do that, you would need to have access to the ethernet connection between the DSL modem section, and the ethernet router section. This is not available in the DSL-G604T. Sorry.

You can use the DSL-G604 as a wireless access point (no router, no DSL modem). You would still need a router somewhere. Not recommended.

Sorta. If you connect the Terayon cable modem to a LAN port on the DSL-G604T, you will get a direct wireless bridged connection. However, you will not have a router in the path, even though there is one inside the DSL-G604T. This will sorta work, but I would not recommend doing it this way.

No. The most versatile arrangement are seperate boxes for each function. Your host already has a cable modem. Do they also have an existing router? If they do, just setup your DSL-G604 as an access point and you have instant wireless using the existing cable modem.

1. Connect to one of the LAN ports. Watch the cable polarity.
  2. Setup the IP address of the DSL-G604T to not conflict with the exiting router. If the existing router is at 192.168.1.1, setup the DSL-G604T at 192.168.1.2.
  3. Disable the DHCP server in the DSL-G604T.
  4. Do not plug anything into the DSL line port.

If they do not have an existing router, you get to buy one. I don't like combined router/wireless boxes because the router wants to live where all the wires come together (under a desk, in a closet), while the wireless wants to live in the open and as high as possible. These are mutually incompatible. Unfortunately, seperate boxes are about twice as expensive as combined router/wireless boxes.

What networking program?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Does your host have an ethernet port that can be used instead of the USB connection? It may just be simpler to get a wireless router (like the DI-624 or WBR-1310) and gift it to your host, and use that. You would then plug the cable modem's ethernet into the router's WAN port, wired stuff would go directly into the router LAN ports, and you'd have wireless.

If your host doesn't have an ethernet port available, consider a USBEthernet dongle (like the DUB-E100).

Reply to
hennessy

Jeff, thanks for replying. I think the simplest thing for me to do is to buy a wireless router. I had a look at the linksys WRT54G instruction manual online and it seems to fulfill my requirements. i.e. I can switch my hosts computer off, and as long as the modem is left on (and of course the router), then I can use either my own machine or my IPAQ independantly. Also, it doesn't seem to breach any setup with the cable modem. I've looked through my hosts machine for all the settings I can find, but perhaps you could advise me of which settings I'll need for certain to do it this way. I could do without having to call the local ISP and trying to find someone who a) speaks English, and b) is able to help me without telling me that what I should have done was call them to pay rental on an overpriced system!

Again, my thanks. Regards, Howard

Reply to
Howard G

Sorry, forgot to mention that the program is called "Network Magic". It's downloadable for free at

formatting link

Reply to
Howard G

Sounds like a plan.

Make sure you do NOT buy a WRT54G or GS version 5.

formatting link
can tell by the serial number prefix. v5 has problems.

Correct. All you need is to have the modem and WRT54G turned on. The hosts computer is not required.

Maybe. If your ISP authenticates by the MAC address of the client, the connection will fail. The solution is simple. Connect from the original (hosts) computer normally, with the router installed. Find the place in the WRT54G that mumbles about "Clone MAC address" for the WAN connection. Save. Power cycle everything. It should now work. Hopefully, this will not be necessary.

Time to learn Hebrew perhaps? Most ISP's have their policies and proceedures posted on their web pile. If there's a rental or leased computer in the system, there may be some security complications. Hard to tell until you try it or until you call them and ask.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Howard G" hath wroth:

That's from Pure Networks. Parts of Network Magic are included with AOL 9. A limited version is free or $30/year for the full version. I've played with it and found it useful. The free version doesn't do much more than what you can do manually with XP, but does make it easier by putting most of the important networking setup menus in one place, instead of XP scattering them all over the place.

formatting link
However, it does absolutely nothing for dealing with hardware configuration issues on routers (other than automatically punch holes in the router for port forwarding for AOL). There's no way this would help you get all the hardware working, but might be useful in "managing" the network afterwards.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks again. I was under no illusion that this would be an all singing all dancing "I can set up any system as though by magic" utility. Especially at the "price"! But parts of even XP are as friendly as a cornered rat when it comes to setting up wireless networks, especially to someone whose sole experience is one computer system. So anything that makes life easier is welcome.

I've posted a new topic, see bomb proof walls, which may make this whole conversation redundant. Shame if thats the case, cos I'm up the creek without a paddle if the warning I had is correct.

Reply to
Howard G

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.