Anyone has 3700 with WIC1-ADSL ?

Hello I would like to ask any of you if:

Cisco 3700 + WIC ADSL

IOS 12.4

In the int atm0/0 (internal WIC slot of the 3700) what is the maximum value that you can set in clock-rate AAL5 ?

C2600 has 700000, c1700 has 800000

Can you help me?

thank you

Reply to
Elia S.
Loading thread data ...

I have used it in the past, but I found it very disappointing. An external consumer-grade ADSL modem easily outperforms this WIC1-ADSL. Maybe the design is too noisy.

Reply to
Rob

Hello Rob.

I am finding too that the WICs works good with medium DSL lines, for example Hello

I have used it in the past, but I found it very disappointing. An external consumer-grade ADSL modem easily outperforms this WIC1-ADSL. Maybe the design is too noisy.

Reply to
Elia S.

My experience in the past was with 8 Mbit ADSL. The WIC1 had very poor performance at that rate in both a 3725 and a 1721.

I have then connected external Alcatel/Thomson 520 modems and all problems were over. We have PPPoA here, and I was able to configure the 520 with a transparent bridge between PPPoA and the ethernet connection. I don't know what is possible with RFC1483, but your goal should be to configure the modem in such a way that it does not perform any NAT function and just forwards all traffic for the internet IP address to the ethernet port. You configure the router with that address on the ethernet port and a default gateway of the modem address (e.g. 10.0.0.138)

However, it may be better to junk the whole hardware and get a modern ADSL router, e.g. 877 or 887. Those modern boxes perform a lot better, you don't need a WIC, have more ethernet ports, etc.

Reply to
Rob

Hello I have plenty of 2600XM routers that performs super-well with 12.4-25c IOS on them. I do QoS outgoing, and they are perfect for what I do.

I have some 877 but they were bought new. Since I have a lot of 2600 I would try to use them first.

They just have to do NAT and ACL in and outbound, QoS (policy map).

I tried them FE to FE and they worked flawlessy

"Rob" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@xs8.xsall.nl...

Elia S. wrote:

My experience in the past was with 8 Mbit ADSL. The WIC1 had very poor performance at that rate in both a 3725 and a 1721.

I have then connected external Alcatel/Thomson 520 modems and all problems were over. We have PPPoA here, and I was able to configure the 520 with a transparent bridge between PPPoA and the ethernet connection. I don't know what is possible with RFC1483, but your goal should be to configure the modem in such a way that it does not perform any NAT function and just forwards all traffic for the internet IP address to the ethernet port. You configure the router with that address on the ethernet port and a default gateway of the modem address (e.g. 10.0.0.138)

However, it may be better to junk the whole hardware and get a modern ADSL router, e.g. 877 or 887. Those modern boxes perform a lot better, you don't need a WIC, have more ethernet ports, etc.

Reply to
Elia S.

Yes, all of that is fine. As long as you stay away from the WIC1-ADSL.

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.