Saving log/config files automatically on MDS/switches

Hello,

We have a switch-environment. A few MDS-9509-switches, a lot MDS-9140. We want to save and transfer the start/up config and logfiles automatically. I read in the manual about the command scheduler and ftp

and so on.

However, in the company it is not allowed to use FTP or TFTP, but we can use SCP or SFTP. To set up SCP or SFTP on the switches to automatically transfer the files looks difficult, to SCP the files to a

central computer.

Now I=B4m wondering how other companies has automated this process.

Thanks in advance.=20

Regards,=20

Hans

Reply to
Hans
Loading thread data ...

Briefly scanning the documentation, it appears to me that you can build a scheduled job that does a

copy system:running-config scp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@SERVER//ABSOLUTE/PATH

and the same sort of thing with the log files if they have a consistant name.

This should be no more difficult than setting up ftp. Also, -maybe- you could set it up to use ssh keys instead of username and password.

The documentation advises not to use interactive or "disruptive" commands in a scheduled job, including copy, because they will be executed non-interactively; I take that to mean that some or all other activity might be suspended; I can't tell from here whether the level it is performed at is incompatible with scp or whether it's just a bad idea because other traffic might not get through during that time.

If a scheduled job doesn't work, then it's probably time to use an 'expect' script to ssh in from a server and fire off the scp.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.