config from tftp server

I read about specifying options in dhcp server so that my 4506 switch can obtain config file from tftp server. Is this a common practice? Is is better to save the config to flash and back it up manually on a tftp server or have it boot and get the config file from tftpserver?

Reply to
tony
Loading thread data ...

and what happens when the tftp server is not reachable ...

Reply to
Merv

and what happens when the tftp server is not reachable ...

Reply to
Merv

Bad practice... dunno 'bout common.

Save it to nvram. Back it up on paper.

Reply to
Dom

That doesn't scale very well beyond maybe a handful of devices.

"Save it to nvram" is definitely a must, but back it up via tftp or other means: for our switches and routers, we use tftp, while for our wireless access points a script (on the same system as the tftp server) runs to grab configurations from each access point's web interface; in either case, the "just backed-up" configuration for each device is compared to the last saved backup from that device, and any differences are sent to appropriate network admins for verification. That way we can verify that a change we made was indeed what we intended, and if an "unauthorized" change is made to a device, we can identify it immediately (well, within a day).

The system that holds the configuration files is itself backed up to a tape unit (any removable backup media would suffice; we use tape), and we do have a "secondary" system that can be used to store and retrieve these configuration files if necessary.

I hope this provides some useful ideas ....

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.