TCP Window sizing issue

I'm seeing some interesting behavior across our WAN. We I transfer TCP traffic (ex. 1mb file) it will take about 1 minute. When I transfer the same file via FTP it takes 5 seconds. My WAN link is about 11 megs and I'm not even close to pegging it with TCP file transfers. I think it might have to do with TCP window sizing, when doing a packet dump I see a bunch of checksum errors and it appears to retransmit a bit. The files transfer fine across the LAN with no errors, i'm wondering if there is some adjustments I should be making to the WAN egress interfaces of the routers.

Reply to
jonny2shoes
Loading thread data ...

~ I'm seeing some interesting behavior across our WAN. We I transfer TCP ~ traffic (ex. 1mb file) it will take about 1 minute. When I transfer ~ the same file via FTP it takes 5 seconds.

?

FTP just uses TCP. What protocol are you using when it takes 1 minute?

SMB? If so, then please note that SMB (V1 at any rate) has notoriously lousy performance on high latency links.

~ My WAN link is about 11 megs ~ and I'm not even close to pegging it with TCP file transfers. I think ~ it might have to do with TCP window sizing, when doing a packet dump I ~ see a bunch of checksum errors and it appears to retransmit a bit.

Any errors / retransmissions will definitely slow you down a ton. Get the errors fixed.

~ The ~ files transfer fine across the LAN with no errors, i'm wondering if ~ there is some adjustments I should be making to the WAN egress ~ interfaces of the routers.

Well, if you are losing/corrupting data, you'll definitely want to fix the problem.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

SMB uses TCP, but the application file transfer moves "blocks" of data

- up to 64K when it gets going with the right settings.

so for every 64 Kbytes the file transfer "waits" for 1 round trip time across your WAN - that can dominate the transfer speed even with relatively low round trip delays on am 11 Mbps link.

servers / PCs with fast LAN interfaces will dump that entire 64K lump transfer at LAN speed - so if the routers / switches or whatever facing the LAN cannot buffer most of that at the speed mismatch you may also lose packets in each block.

SMB will just slectively resend the missing packets - but some TCP offload cards have been known to muck up the logic and add a timeout every time - in 1 case this slowed the transfer across a 10M link from

5 to 6 Mbps to 600 Kbps.

You may find FTP is using a different packet size if the errors only occur in 1 type of transfer.

Reply to
Stephen

One slightly divergent view - SMB in my experience averages

32k per round trip. I have never seen anything different from this and I have done *lots* of looking. I have very often observed 60k then 4k then 60k then 4k ... etc. blocks. Occasionally 32k, 32k, 32k .... however either results in an average block size of 32k.

Say between London and NY this results in a maximum data rate of 32k bytes per 80ms,

400k bytes per sec 3.2M bits per second.

No matter if you have a 10G private network you can only ever get at best 3.2M bps with SMB.

As already mentioned TCP on its own does not do file transfers since it not an application layer protocol.

FTP is an application layer protocol as is SMB (in effect the Microsoft Windows network file system). By the way this was utterly bizarrely renamed from Server Message Block to Common Internet File System (CIFS).

This was in my opinion bizarre since it is not suitable as a WAN file system, is almost never used on the Internet, and has disasterous performance problems when used over any distance over a couple of hundered miles.

A more descriptive term might have been - Uncommon and Completely Useless Internetless Filish System.

By the way the protocol is proprietary and secret - but has been reverse engineered by the SABMA team ( I suspect).

CIFS Common - no way Jose Internet - not a chance File - well it does have some from time to time System - barely

SMB v2 has I believe been made available on Vista and server 2008. It is suggested that some of these dire issues have been addressed. Unfortunately I have not yet been able to evaluate its behaviour.

Further reading, google [bandwidth delay product].

Reply to
bod43

Windows [XP at least] supports WebDAV natively as a network file system. This may be better than SMB in WANs as it uses HTTP(S).

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.