Adding Option 82 to a Windows 2003 Server

I found this info on the Subject, but it doesn't specify what the data type of the custom option should be:

Microsoft DHCP Server does not have default support for option 82 as it has for other standard options. Using DHCP Server Management console (dhcpmgmt.msc) -> ->

Right Click -> Set Predefined Options..., you can add option 82 as a customized option for DHCP Server. Thereon, on the DHCP Client you can use DhcpRequestParams API to retrieve the options for your further use.

What I ultimately want to do is use the Win2k3 server to pull the info from the option 82 command I've enabled on my switches. Hardware used: Cisco 3750 switches. thanks in advance.

Reply to
Greg H.
Loading thread data ...

I must have missed the announcement, did Microsoft buy Cisco or was it the other way around?

Reply to
Rod Dorman

Reply to
Greg H.

"I was asking for some more steps about doing this on a windows 2003 server."

comp.dcom.sys.CISCO .... not really the best place to ask a Microsoft config question!

Reply to
chris

The information provided by Option 82 sounds like a good idea, but in reality its not that helpful because the data is encoded in a fashion that is not readily human readable. You will need to develop something to grab the option 82 data from the server, parse it, and then display it in human readable form. You must have DHCP snooping enabled on you switches, which does present the same option 82 information that you can easily see. Use "show ip dhcp snooping bindings" to see the data.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Is there a way to output the "show ip dhcp snooping binding" to a file? tftp or log it somehow?

Reply to
Greg H.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.