Routing

First, I am sorry if this Usenet group encounters a lot of these posts. This is the first place that came to mind when it became evident that I'm unable to solve this problem, so I ask for whatever input you can offer.

The issue that I'm attempting to resolve is thus: I have a C3620 with version 12.2 of the IOS. I have two modules installed; one has a single Ethernet interface (Ethernet1/0) and the other has two Fast Ethernet interfaces (FastEthernet0/0 and FastEthernet0/1). When I configure addresses or DHCP for these three interfaces, I can ping the interfaces (or routers) from any host on any network connected to the C3620. However, I cannot ping other clients/hosts on those different subnets. I have attempted starting a variety of routing protocols to permit this, but they have proven ineffective. Further, when adding an ip route to the configuration for all non-local traffic to be sent to the ISP, this also will not route to the next hop on the ISP's network (attempted to use ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 - the ISP's access point).

I realize that this is a rather broad issue to resolve but would appreciate any advice or assistance that the members of this group can offer. My running configuration can be read below:

==============================

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1070 bytes ! version 12.2 service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime no service password-encryption ! hostname c3620 ! enable secret 5 $1$CMkX$/y9l5Y51hhAaLbAF.mjD01 enable password founders1884 ! ip subnet-zero ! ! no ip domain-lookup ! no call rsvp-sync ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! interface FastEthernet0/0 description EA-WIFI ISP ip address 192.168.1.251 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! interface Serial0/0 no ip address encapsulation frame-relay no ip mroute-cache shutdown clock rate 2000000 frame-relay lmi-type ansi ! interface FastEthernet0/1 description TechCenter Subnet ip address 172.16.1.250 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! interface Serial0/1 no ip address no ip mroute-cache shutdown ! interface Ethernet1/0 ip address dhcp full-duplex ! interface Serial1/0 no ip address no ip mroute-cache shutdown clock rate 2000000 ! interface Serial1/1 no ip address no ip mroute-cache shutdown ! ip classless ip http server ! ! dial-peer cor custom ! ! ! ! line con 0 line aux 0 line vty 0 4 password founders1884 login ! end

==============================

Thanks,

nbuuck

Reply to
nbuuck
Loading thread data ...

Note: The descriptions for each interface should be ignored. Fast Ethernet 0/0 is not the path to the ISP any longer; Ethernet1/0 is.

Reply to
nbuuck

Just a question on how your hosts are configured. Do you have a default gateway configured on all of the hosts? If not that could explain being able to ping your local router interface while not being able to ping hosts in the other subnets.

A routing protocol won't help you in your situation. All three of the subnets you're trying to reach are directly connected subnets from the perspective of the router.

-Dan

Reply to
dtpike

Sounds like the hosts on the networks don't have routes to the other network/default gateway.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

Thanks for your input!

My hosts are configured to DHCP from another router. I understand what you mean, and will attempt to correct that issue at the next opportunity (I am only able to work on this once a week; all of this is a volunteer effort at a local youth center).

Thanks again,

nbuuck

Reply to
nbuuck

Here's an update with a diagram to help better illustrate my situation (this is not the actual application, but the test environment I have setup here at home):

Diagram

Desktop 3: Able to get to the ISP, WWW, and the c3620 @ 192.168.0.2 but not beyond to 10.10.100.1. LinkSys : Same connectivity as Desktop 3. c3620 : Can communicate with all hosts on the 10.10.100.0/24 network, but not on the 192.168.0.0/24. Desktop 1: Can reach the router at 10.10.100.1, not beyond. Desktop 2: Same connectivity as Desktop 1.

I have attempted to add static routes in the following form:

c3620# (conf-t) ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 c3620# (conf-t) ip route 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1

However, these measures have no effect. I must be missing something generally basic, but I cannot figure out what. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
nbuuck

First, you do not need that first static route above. The cisco router will know how to get to directly connected networks, and will send out an arp on those networks when it has traffic destined for a node there. You will however need to keep that static default route.

Second, your problem is that your linksys router does not have a route to the 10.10.100.1 network. Linksys routers by default will only get a default route from their internet/wan port, and therefore nothing on

192.168.0.X knows how to get to 10.10.100.x. You need to put a static route on the Linksys that points to 192.168.0.2 for 10.10.100.0/24.
Reply to
Trendkill

One more note, you need to add a route (on your internet/wan router) to 10.10.100.0/24 via 172.16.15.2, or whatever your linksys wanIP is. As he will not know how to get to 10.10.100.0/24 either......

Reply to
Trendkill

In a test environment in which these neighboring routers were not present, these problems still occurred. The router would not even route between the two directly-connected networks. Will the measures that you suggested still overcome this issue?

Reply to
nbuuck

Sadly, there was a firewall issue that made it seem as if there was no route to the hosts I was attempting to ping - sorry. I'm still working on getting the default route to the WWW (i.e. the provider's first hop), but this has been very helpful.

Thanks all. If I find that I'm unsuccessful in my attempts to get the default route working, I'll know where to go (which reminds me, should the Gateway of last resort be defined in the router configuration?).

Reply to
nbuuck

Alright, I'm having a bit of an issue with the route out to the WWW. To get anywhere up or through my ISP's network, I have to statically define the route all the way up the hierarchy of private networks.

formatting link
I've enabled RIP and added all of the networks and neighbors of which I'm aware, but nothing has changed.

Configuration:

formatting link
Any ideas?

Reply to
nbuuck

Also, what are the capabilities of a Cisco Fast Ethernet interface? Does it have the same capabilities as an Ethernet interface?

Reply to
nbuuck

Ethernet is 10 meg, FastE is 100 meg, no other notable differences...

Your cisco box is not the problem. Its everything above it. Your cisco box has interfaces in 192.168.0.0/24 and 10.10.100.0/24. So long as it has a default gateway to get to any other networks (via

192.168.0.1), then anything connected behind the cisco box should box (provided you don't add other networks).

The issue is that once traffic gets into the 192.168.0.0/24 network or beyond, it does not know how to get back to 10.10.100.0/24. Your internet router for example (172.16.15.1). It knows how to get to

172.16.15.X (whatever you wan IP is), and all of your connections behind that are natted. Therefore, and I was wrong here yesterday, because you are running NAT, your internet router doesn't have to know anything.

The core of your issue is the linksys router. The cisco router passes

10.10.100.0/24 traffic to the linksys router, but it is not NATed according to your config. Therefore, the linksys router is getting a source address of 10.10.100.0/24 which it does not have in its route table. So the linksys will route traffic out the internet, but once the internet sends it back to the linksys, the linksys doesn't know to send it to the cisco router. I'm hoping this makes sense.....

Either: A) Put a static route on the linksys to 10.10.100.0/24 through

192.168.0.2 B) Enable rip on the cisco router for both networks and enable rip on the linksys and make sure they are exhanging routes (more important that the linksys is getting routes from the cisco, not the other way around) C) consider using NAT on the cisco router.
Reply to
Trendkill

Thanks to all that have contributed. I have finally built a successful route and the network is now fully operational. I greatly appreciate all of your help.

Reply to
nbuuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.