router wont prompt enable

Hello I just logged in to a remote router. i typed enable and it got me in enable mode without password. then i did config t and type password enable myenablepassword and write mem. i loged in again to the router but it did not prompt for enable password, does anyon know what could be wrong? thanks

Reply to
jcharth
Loading thread data ...

Yes i did enable secret mysecret and enable password mypassword and the router does not prompt for a password. it goes in enable mode as soon as i type enable. any ideas?

Reply to
jcharth

Do you login with a username who already has priviledge 15 ? I think if it is the case, then 'enable' won't ask you a password any more.

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

Hm.. if your line "password enable myenablepassword" is not a tipfeller, then you used wrong syntax. Real syntax is "enable password ".

If you actually used that, you should see if you can find that line in running config and if you can see any "enable secret" lines which have higher priority than "enable password".

HTH,

Reply to
Ivan

Have you checked for bugs in your specific IOS? This sounds like one...

Reply to
Ivan

line vty 0 4 privilege level 15 password 7 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX transport input telnet ! no scheduler allocate ! end May be this explains something? but i still can figure out way. I was reading about auto enable. I believe my user privilage is 7. Looks normal. Thanks

Reply to
jcharth

For the above config, I believe anybody who can telnet to your router will have the privilege 15, which will give you the higest permission. So if you can login, you do not have to submit the enable password any more.

You can delete that line "privilege level 15", and assign each user an appropriate privilege level. Then it will ask you for a password for the enable command.

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

Thanks, i figure it out after googleing for a while.I was starting to think there was something wrong with the router.

Reply to
jcharth

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.