2503(boot) Prompt on a 2503 Router

Hi,

Ive just purchased a second hand 2503 router. When I fire it up, it runs through the config and stops at the prompt, 2503(boot)>

Im a very new at this, but can someone help me get back to the 2503>

prompt only.

Thanks in advance,

James

Reply to
jasduffy
Loading thread data ...

read the subject of barrett bonden" "1600 missing commands !"

Reply to
polleke

Thanks for the response Polleke. I did as you said, but I dont think its good news.

This is what I get:

2503(boot)>enable 2503(boot)#show flash

System flash directory: No files in System flash [0 bytes used, 8388608 available, 8388608 total]

8192K bytes of System flash (Device not programmable)

2503(boot)#

Can I be a nuisance and ask, what do I do now?

Thanks in advance,

James

Reply to
jasduffy

James,

You're stuck in the Boot ROM.Provide the following commands to get a "normal" prompt. At 2503(boot)> type : enable This will show you 2503(boot)#. Type : copy startup-config running-config If you do not know the enable password you can change it here. Type: conf t Enter NO to any boot system Type: enable secret Type : config-register 0x2102 Give Ctrl Z command or exit Type : copy running-config startup-config Reboot That should give you the normal IOS prompt again,with access.

Gr. DB

Reply to
DB

Hi DB,

Did as you said, but its still 2503(boot)

Although I did get the opportunity to change the password to something more suitable.

When you say reboot, do you mean reload, or switch the unit off at the back, then power it back on. I wasn't a 100% on that so I tried it both ways, just to be sure.

Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated as Im extremely new at this.

Rgds,

James

Reply to
jasduffy

James,

When you did the show flash notice how the output stated "No files in System flash". This means you don't have an IOS stored in flash. Your router is booting from a stripped down version of the IOS loaded in ROM.

2503(boot)>enable 2503(boot)#show flash

System flash directory: No files in System flash [0 bytes used, 8388608 available, 8388608 total]

8192K bytes of System flash (Device not programmable)

2503(boot)#

Reply to
Edwin.R.Gonzalez

Check that the Flash is OK. Do you know how much Flash the router has installed, there may be a dodgy connection where one of the flash modules sits on the board.

Reply to
Jo

Hi Jo,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I removed the chips from the board, dusted them down, and then reseated them. Everything is now working fine. Your help was greatly appreciated.

Thanks also to all who offered advice, again, your help was greatly appreciated.

James

Reply to
jasduffy

No problem. You dont happen to live just off of the A13 do you?

Reply to
Jo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.