Newbie needs help with 877w router

Hi There,

Bit of background.. I work for a small charity and I am in charge of our IT BUT I have limited knowledge, especially when it comes to networks.

I bought a 877W router and I am trying to set it up for a simple network of 5 computers. However, when I try and Install SDM, it asks for a level 15 username and password. 'Cisco' 'Cisco' does not work and I cannot get any further. I have tried to connect via telnet and hyperterminal, using the 'open' command and the default IP (10.10.10.1) but it again asks me to enter the login for a level 15.

I have read that you can create users but the only command prompt I can access is 'Microsoft Telnet' and it does not accept any of the commands i put in (i expect it is because the command prompt is wrong but i don't know how to change it!)

Is there a default login for level 15 or have I knackered up the flash memory of the router somehow? I tried to install it about 2 months ago and didn't get very far (although I am sure I got to the SDM page). If it comes to it, can I do a hard reset or something?

any help would be much appreciated as we can't really afford to buy in an expert. If you need more info then I will do what i can.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
wotsmyaddress
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Not sure I can help with the username and password however the link above will help you recover from a lost password.

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

Thanks for the idea Chad but I can't seem to get anywhere with this bit..

QUOTE FROM INSTRUCTIONS:

Step 1 Connect an ASCII terminal or a PC running a terminal emulation program to the CONSOLE port on the rear panel of the router.

Step 2 Configure the terminal to operate at 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit.

Step 3 At the privileged EXEC prompt (router_name #), enter the show version command to display the existing configuration register value (shown in bold at the bottom of this output example):

MY SITUATION: Step 1: I have attached the router to my PC COM1 port and plugged it into the CONSOLE bit.

Step 2: I opened hyperterminal and set up a connection to this port, using the settings mentioned.

Step 3: When trying to connect, it immediately goes to 'username' and i can't login. If I can get to the router> prompt then I reckon I could sort it but I can't even get there!

Thanks again for trying though Chad :)

Chad Mah> snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
iamdes

formatting link
>

Please do not top post...

You must read on in the document

Reset the Router To reset the router, follow these steps:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 If break is enabled, go to Step 2. If break is disabled, turn the router off (O), wait 5 seconds, and turn it on (|) again. Within 60 seconds, press the Break key. The terminal displays the ROM monitor prompt. Go to Step 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note Some terminal keyboards have a key labeled Break. If your keyboard does not have a Break key, see the documentation that came with the terminal for instructions on how to send a break.

Step 2 Press break. The terminal displays the following prompt:

rommon 2>

Step 3 Enter confreg 0x142 to reset the configuration register:

rommon 2> confreg 0x142

Step 4 Initialize the router by entering the reset command:

rommon 2> reset

The router cycles its power, and the configuration register is set to

0x142. The router uses the boot ROM system image, indicated by the system configuration dialog:

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Step 5 Enter no in response to the prompts until the following message is displayed:

Press RETURN to get started!

Step 6 Press Return. The following prompt appears:

Router>

Step 7 Enter the enable command to enter enable mode. Configuration changes can be made only in enable mode:

Router> enable

The prompt changes to the privileged EXEC prompt:

Router#

Step 8 Enter the show startup-config command to display an enable password in the configuration file:

Router# show startup-config

If you are recovering an enable password, do not perform the steps in the following "Reset the Password and Save Your Changes" section. Instead, complete the password recovery process by performing the steps in the "Reset the Configuration Register Value" section.

If you are recovering an enable secret password, it is not displayed in the show startup-config command output. Complete the password recovery process by performing the steps in the following "Reset the Password and Save Your Changes" section.

Reset the Password and Save Your Changes To reset your password and save the changes, follow these steps:

Step 1 Enter the configure terminal command to enter global configuration mode:

Router# configure terminal

Step 2 Enter the enable secret command to reset the enable secret password in the router:

Router(config)# enable secret password

Step 3 Enter exit to exit global configuration mode:

Router(config)# exit

Step 4 Save your configuration changes:

Router# copy running-config startup-config

Reset the Configuration Register Value To reset the configuration register value after you have recovered or reconfigured a password, follow these steps:

Step 1 Enter the configure terminal command to enter global configuration mode:

Router# configure terminal

Step 2 Enter the configure register command and the original configuration register value that you recorded.

Router(config)# config-reg value

Step 3 Enter exit to exit configuration mode:

Router(config)# exit

So in your situation with the console cable connected and hyperterm configured, power off the router and turn it back on it, when you start to receive text on the screen press ctrl+break on your keyboard this will put you into ROMMON mode. The article then will apply to you.

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

I had a problem with one of these the other day; I just reset it using the pin hole at the back. Did the job and was back to factory default.

Reply to
corb

The "As Shipped" user/password is:

"cisco" "cisco" and the password, at least, is case sensitive.

I just tried it and the user name does not appear to be case sensitive.

The requirements for geting SDM to work on your PC also need to be followed closely. Java version this, and security disabled that.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.