PIX 501 help please!

I am new to the Cisco PIX 501. I am having difficulty setting it up on my highspeed cable connection. Running Cisco PIX 501 Version 6.3.3

Bascially it's like this: Cisco was config'd to our network information at work. I brought it home and ran a hyperterminal to it. Once connected I ran the 'write erase' command. this as I understand it sets everything back to factory. I then entered 'reload' and the PIX rebooted. Once it was back up It asked me if I wanted to config through interactive prompts... i said yes and set a domain name, inside ip address (192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0) and a host name.

Now there are 2 issues:

1) the PIX will not pick up the current dynamic IP set to me from the ISP. (tried straight through and X-Over cables from PIX to modem) Confused: The 'Getting Started' Guide tells me that by default (straight from the box or set to factory) nothing from the outside will flow through to the inside. BUT some online documentation says that by default the outside interface is set as a DHCP client and that the 'out of the box' config should be fine 'as it is' for SOHO environemnts, it also says that the only reason that you want to configure the pix outside of the defaults is in the case of special environments like setting up VPN's etc. ?? 2)The biggy: I CANNOT connect to the https://192.168.1.1/startup.html.What I have tried: a. Cabling: X-Over and striaght from PC to PIX ports 1-4 b. Checking the LEDs on the pix to ensure connection, there is a solid green on the interface that my pc is connected to. Also when i pull that cat5 XP tells me there is a cable unplugged so I know the connection is there. c. Making sure that my browser can view ssl pages. it can, i also disabled Norton Internet Security (just in case) d.The PC is set to obtain IP automatically. I had to later go back to the PIX through Hyperterminal and setup an inside DHCP pool because the PIX wasn't doing by 'factory default'. IPCONFIG /release /renew = IP from PIX. OK. so I should be able to get to that https://192.168.1.1/startup.html now right? Wrong!

What the f*?# am I missing here!

Sorry for the long post.

Any help would be great. Thanks Tony

Reply to
KOS
Loading thread data ...

"KOS" wrote in news:IqpYc.56162$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp1.uunet.ca:

Have you tried connecting thru the console? Plug in the console cable and login thru hyperterminal. once you get logged in, you should see something ike pix501>

Type in enable and press enter, when it prompts for the password, just press enter becasue you haven't set one yet. then type in config t and press enter, this should set you in configuration mode. type in enable dhcpd and press enter, if you get an error then you have some sort of connectivity issue between your internet connection and your PIX if you get back to a command line prompt, then type in write mem, press enter and it should write the configuration to memory. Pull up th eWindows Command prompt, Strt>RUn>cmd and release your IP address or type in ipconfig and see what information pulls up. If nothing pulls up or you get teh generic auto configuration, then you have a different issue which is more than likely tied to the NIS you said you were using. You must shut down ALL Norton related services not just the firewall monitor itself. Or better yet, uninstall it. The PIX501 is a great SOHO firewall.

Reply to
Wilykiote

Thank-you for replying. I have since resolved the issue: As i said, I tried all of that, When i typed 'write erase' it was from a hyper terminal console. That actually sets it back to factory BUT Cisco ships them with the following settings: Outside interface set to auto and to dhcp. Inside set to 100full and with a default range IP pool and sets the route for dhcp. I actaully had to reload the terminal after the 'write erase' and then go back into enable and type: 'configure factory-default' this ran for about 30 seconds and configured everything the way the documantation said it would = cool because this allowed me to connect to the internet and assign an IP dynamically from the PIX to my PC, It also solved the https://192.168.1.1/startup.html issue.

I appreciate your response.. I honestly didn't think anyone would...cool. Thanks Tony

Reply to
KOS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.