Route with no D.G. on device?

Not an expert here so this may be a dumb question....but we have 2 networks each on it's own interface on a 1841 router....interfaces are

192.168.40.1 and 192.168.50.1 with Cisco 2960 switches connected to each interface. All devices on each network can ping each other no problem.

Our security company has a device they need to put on our network that has no entry in it's config for a default gateway...only an IP address. So let's say that device is 192.168.40.10...anything on the

192.168.40.0 network can ping it but nothing on the 50.0 network can. Is there any way to have the 40.10 device be accessible by the 50.0 network if there's no D.G. on the device?
Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

You can use "ip proxy-arp".

Or just tell them their device cannot work on your network...

Reply to
Rob

You could NAT on the 1841 so that traffic from 192.168.50.0/24 appears, to the security device on 192.168.40.10, to originate from 192.168.40.1. The security device will not be able to initiate communication to

192.168.50.0 without some further ugly hacks [eg port forwarding].

However, something with an IP stack that doesn't have a method of specifying a default gateway does sound odd to say the least.

Reply to
alexd

Well hardly an ugly hack, unless of course NAT, in and of itself, is an ugly hack -- OK not a bad position, I could agree with that:-)

Yes - a VERY odd state of affairs.

Probably just that they don't know how to do it. Routing has been part of IP since the start.

NAT will definately work since the device has then literally no way of knowing that it is not communicating locally.

Proxy ARP is likely to work and is on by default on Cisco routers. If I remember, I like to turn it off since I like to know by what mechanism(s) my network is working.

Reply to
bod43

At work we have a couple of Belkin access points that have this problem as well. No possibility to enter a default gateway. This means you can access the web interface only from the local network.

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.