Catalyst 4000: Device connected to switch but no MAC address?!

I inherited a pair of Catalyst 4000s with about 100 devices connected to each. I'm slowly going through and naming all of the ports (by a combination of 'show cam dynamic' and a list of MAC & IP addresses I have for our system), and came across one rather strange thing.

sh port 4 | I 4/15 4/15 unknown-weird connected 1 normal a-full a-1Gb

10/100/1000 4/15 none none 4/15 disabled shutdown 0 0 1 disabled 122 4/15 0 - - - - - 4/15 Enabled 4/15 on on desired on 0 0 0 4/15 connected auto silent 292 0 4/15 connected - Enable No Change 4/15 - 0 0 0 0 4/15 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

So, something's connected to it at 1Gbit and has negotiated full duplex. But check this out:

sh cam dynamic 4/15

• = Static Entry. + = Permanent Entry. # = System Entry. R = Router Entry. X = Port Security Entry $ = Dot1x Security Entry

VLAN Dest MAC/Route Des [CoS] Destination Ports or VCs / [Protocol Type]

---- ------------------ -----

------------------------------------------- Total Matching CAM Entries Displayed =0

It's the only device (out of the 200 or so) that does NOT have a MAC address. How is that even possible? I can't pull out the cable and unplug the device in question, at least not yet..!

Chris

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

On 24 May 2006 14:03:21 -0700, Chris said something similar to:

All that means is that the device in question hasn't transmitted anything recently. Dynamic CAM entries age out of the table, just like learned ARP entries do. Use 'show cam agingtime' to see what the timeout is currently set to. IIRC, the default is 300 seconds.

Reply to
Mike Delaney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.