L3 interface on 4948

I configured "no switchport" with IP address on my 4948 and all is well when I have something plugged into that interface. (I can ping the interface address from nodes attached to the VLANs on the switch and whatever is attached to the L3 interface). BUT, when I unplug nodes directly connected to the L3 port, I can't ping the L3 port IP for some reason. Is there something I need to do so that it remains up even if there are no physical connections to the L3 port?

Reply to
unix
Loading thread data ...

berkid had written this in response to

formatting link
: unix wrote:

Reply to
berkid

It is I think possible to have a physical interface up even if nothing is connected.

int x no keepalive

Hmmm. I just tried on an 877. Did not work on the switch ports. They are unusual though.

Not usually something you would ever want to do though. For example RIP could advertise unreachable networks.

Reply to
bod43

Let me clarify. Let's say my L3 port is assigned 10.10.10.11 and I have a PC directly connected to that interface with ip

10.10.10.12. From a VLAN on that switch, I can ping 10.10.10.11 and 10.10.10.12. When I unplug the PC, I can't ping the L3 interface address any more. There has to be a way to keep it up since it's just a virtual ip similar to VLAN ip address that we define when we want to enable VLAN routing. Makes sense?
Reply to
unix

Yes. berkid and I got it first time round too:)

This is the design behaviour. Why would you want anything else?

Use berkids solution which will looks pretty good to me if it's what you want. I mentioned the no keepalive not because I think it might be intrinsically better but because it might for some reason suit you better. It does work on some interfaces but I forget the details. I don't have access to a

4948 (or a 4500 which amounts to the same thing) to play with.
Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.