trace route

i would like to see the name of the network device during a trace. is all that is necessary, is to configure; ip domain lookup, ip name-server, and ip domain-name to accomplish this? i would like to see:

trace router1

router2.whatever.com x x x router3.whatever.com x x x router4.whatever.com x x x ....

Reply to
deech
Loading thread data ...

actually adding to this thread. does anyone have a best practive for naming interfaces in dns? i am trying to come up with standard here just some ideas would be appreciated. at first i was just thinking of the loopback, but those are not reported in a trace (i believe), i want to see some meaningful inside interfaces names.

Reply to
deech

For our interfaces that had very specific purposes (e.g., link to the firewall), I tended to use functional names. For the other interfaces, I -could- have named them according to what they were aggregating, but in practice I found it more useful to name the interfaces according to the last octet of the MAC address, because if I ever saw those IPs, I would likely be chasing something fairly low level that I would see the MAC on before managing to catch an IP.

Actually, I'm distorting cause and effect a bit: more accurate is that for each router and switch port, I put the associated MAC in the ethers file (switches that partake of Spanning Tree must have distinct MACs for each port); I also had the practice of entering each ethers entry into the hosts file, assigning an otherwise unused IP address as a place-holder for any device port that wasn't assigned an IP. That's partly because my hosts file was really a textual database, with structured comments holding the MAC address and various other points of interest; I had various programs that processed the structured information in the hosts file, such as my routines that were SNMP probing the routers and switches to determine whether any unexpected new devices had appeared.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

When I was at BBN Planet/GTE Internetworking/Genuity/Level(3), we used names like ..bbnplanet.net.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Same here. Things like vlan100.oc5.net.ed.ac.uk for a L3 i/f on a L3 switch, otherwise things like this for interfaces on real routers:

lo0.map-gw3.net.ed.ac.uk fa0-0.map-gw3.net.ed.ac.uk s1-0.map-gw3.net.ed.ac.uk s1-1.map-gw3.net.ed.ac.uk. etc.

We decided not to spell out the whole interface type, just go for the minimum abbreviation (which has changed over the years) and try to do the right thing changing "/" and "." into "-". You don't have to change "." of course but if you do it stops the sub-i/f looking like some part of the DNS hierarchy.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.