RIP's, statics, and frustration; newbie blues

Two old routers (a 2500 and a 1600) , back to back with a serial cable (Dte Dce, & clocking all properly set) with two Dlink VPN routers on either side of the routers and PC's hung off those,

1) RIP did nothing ; should it have with just 2 routers ? I had to set static routes for any Pinging to work across the "network" 2) I noticed I could ping from a PC accross the serial connection to the far router , and I could ping from a router into a far PC, but could not ping from a PC into a far PC; in other words the ping would work , but to make a physical analogy, in a kind of "overlapping" way.
Reply to
barret bondon
Loading thread data ...

The wise barret bondon enlightened me with:

There is quite some information missing. Where do you want to have RIP working? Between the cisco's? How do the Dlink routers get their information? Do you need RIP in this situation at all?

Perhaps a little configuration details.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Huizer

The very ignorant BB is very puzzled. The Dlinks are switches., and in my ignorance acting here like broadcast hubs, but they do have a wan port, acting as gateway I assume, and so I would have thought a PC on their (DHCP) subnet could have pinged the Cisco on the other side of that Ethernet cable

It was late and I don't recall if that worked or not ; the larger hole in my knowledge is this; I set up a subnet on the Cisco 1600's E0 and S0, and likewise on the 2500 E0 and S0; I then set up RIP on all subnets; it meant nothing; I couldn't ping across from a PC to the other side's Cisco without static routes. I thought RIP took care of this.

And why could I ping from a PC to the far router but not to the PC strung off the far side if I could ping to that far PC from within a router ?

I don't have the network here; if your interested I'd be happy to create a full diagram, but please enlighten me about the RIP not working for the pings, but the static routes solving that issue.

Reply to
barret bondon

Dear BB,

Thing is RIP is a bit broken. It does weird stuff depending on classful addresses. Simply don't bother with it. Use EIGRP or OSPF instead. That has always been my plan and it has worked so far.

If you want help you NEED to adequately describe the network, adequately describe what you think is happening, illustrate that with show command outputs, and then adequately describe what you think ought to be happening.

Your messages so far have provided none of these things.

I don't mean to be rude or obnoxious, it's just that these are the facts. Without information no one, however well intentioned can offer any help.

So for this problem, post from both routers,

sh run sh ip route

I am sure there might be more but my mind is a bit blank right now:-)

Output from PCs,

If Windows: ipconfig /all route print

If Linux: ifconfig -a whatever it takes to show the routing table. netstat -r maybe? route something? google will tell you.

You see, you did not even bother mentioning the OS of the PC's.

If I knew the OS I would look up the commands but since I don't I can't be bothered trying to cover all of the possibilities.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.