Serial links / clock rates?

Hi,

I have two Cisco 1600 routers linked back to back with a serial connection. I have enabled a c*ck rate of 64000 on the DCE end. The links works perfectly.

Would someone mind explaining the difference between DCE and DTE? Or mind recommending a good article on the subject?

I am used to Ethernet connections and this serial one has confused me. How does a "clock rate 64000" compare to say 10Mb Ethernet? Is the clock rate command even linked to speed?

Many thanks,

Paul

Reply to
thefunnel
Loading thread data ...

DCE is data communications equipment, DTE data termination equipment. With straight through serial cables, a DCE will connect to a DTE. To connect like to like you need a crossover cable or null modem. The designation defines the wiring of the transmit, receive and control pins in the cable, and strictly, it should define the gender of the connector.

formatting link
might help.

The clock rate defines the speed of the link. In your case it's 64K bit/sec, so quite slow compared to 10Mbit ethernet.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

see

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.