RAS access

Hi all !

I have to think about RAS connections for few mobile users who can just connect to our network by analogic modem (in France).

They are approximatly 16 peoples who wants to connect to our network.

Do you have an idea of which router can I use to do that ?

Thanks a lot, Jov.

Reply to
LLFF
Loading thread data ...

~ Hi all ! ~ ~ I have to think about RAS connections for few mobile users who can just ~ connect to our network by analogic modem (in France). ~ ~ They are approximatly 16 peoples who wants to connect to our network. ~ ~ Do you have an idea of which router can I use to do that ? ~ ~ ~ Thanks a lot, ~ Jov.

1. How many concurrent modem calls do you think you'll need to support?

1. Do you have a requirement to support PCM modulations (V.90, V.92) or are analog modulations (V.34 and below) adequate?

2'. Will your connection to the PSTN be digital (ISDN BRI, PRI) or analog (POTS)?

For low density analog applications, you can use the WIC-2AM module in any low end router that can hold a WIC, such as for example an 1841 with two WIC slots.

For higher density analog applications, you could use an NM-8AM-V2 or NM-16AM-V2 in any low end router that can hold an NM, such as for example a 2610XM.

For a digital modem application, you would need to use one of the following:

- AS5350 with a PRI - this is probably overkill as the minimum configuration includes 60 digital modems and 2 E1s.

- 37xx/38xx with an NM-6DM/NM-12DM/NM-18DM plus either an NM-4B-S/T or NM-8B-S/T if using BRI, or NM-*1CE1* if using PRI.

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Thanks a lot Aaron ...

I think I'll need to support 15 concurrent modem calls. V90 or V92 is ok ... Connexion to the PSTN will be analog ...

Thanks !

Jov

Reply to
LLFF

~ Thanks a lot Aaron ... ~ ~ I think I'll need to support 15 concurrent modem calls. V90 or V92 is ~ ok ... Connexion to the PSTN will be analog ... ~ ~ Thanks ! ~ ~ Jov

If you connect analog to the PSTN, then you will not be able to support V.90/V.92 connections to analog modems. (You WILL be able to support V.90/V.92 to *digital* modems - but your end users will be using analog modems not digital modems.)

So, you should get a router with an NM-16AM-V2 in it, such as a 2600/2800. This will support V.34 (speeds up to 33600 bps) connections with your end users' analog modems.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.